EA vs Homestead

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 FEL, RGA1258 tiller, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Nov 2, 2021
I am in the market to buy a grapple for my L3901 and I am down to two different ones, the EA wicked 55" root grapple and the Homestead Independence Series. Both seem like they would be great for what I am going to do which is clearing out some privot and other brush as well as handling downed trees to cut for firewood.

Lets hear pros and cons for each.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I chose the EA one because of the serrations on both the bottom and the lid. However I ordered it Sept 17 and last time I checked it's expected to ship in February...

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I own the same EA grapple for almost 10 years and it has been bullet proof with exception of hydraulic hose from lid cyl. rubs on frame and by time I noticed rubber was already being roughed off. I covered with a sleeve and zip tied it to the side and original still working fine. I have no regrets and works as expected. Still looks like new after a lot of use.

I have no experience with the Homestead brand.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I have the Homestead 55" Pinnacle series root grapple. I felt it was worth the extra $$ for a heavier duty piece of equipment. It is a very well made item, in my opinion. It did take 15 weeks from order date to delivery, I feel it was well worth the wait. I have used it on my L2501 to move rocks and logs with no issues. I also have a Homestead box blade, equally well made. And they offer 10% military discount, if that applies. Good Luck with whichever you choose!

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
won't comment on which is 'better' but big issue is probably DELIVERY time. Maybe YOU can wait 12 weeks ( 3 MONTHS) for it ? That'd be early April..best case, 20 weeks ...mid June ??

Also look at weight..That has to be subtracted from the loader 'capacity' to get the real 'payload' value.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am in the market to buy a grapple for my L3901 and I am down to two different ones, the EA wicked 55" root grapple and the Homestead Independence Series. Both seem like they would be great for what I am going to do which is clearing out some privot and other brush as well as handling downed trees to cut for firewood.

Lets hear pros and cons for each.
Homestead doesn't appear to know what their grapple weighs. They state 190lb and 240lb on the same page. The EA is quite a bit more expensive and the lid opens wider i.e. 36" compared to 29". The EA will most likely have a longer lead time. If you buy the Homestead it's unlikely that you'll report back and say that you should have bought the EA. And the same goes if you buy the EA. I certainly would buy the EA Wicked 60 again but my only other point of comparison is the Land Pride grapple I had on the BX25D so apples to oranges.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I'm also in the market for a grapple for my L3301.

The pinnacle series is a better comparison. 375 LB 60 inch AR450 steel grapple. Looks good actually. Lead time of 6-8 weeks...

I just called today about EA grapple. Lead time is 6-9 months atm. They recently increased prices by as about 10%. Their 55 inch 200 LB grapple too light duty for L series (IMO). Their 60 inch beefed up version is good and $3300 is reasonable for 400 LB AR450 grapple. They seem to be primarily targeting Land Pride as primary competitor and trying to 'best' their products.

So I live in NC and about 2 hrs from EA. I totally think it's cool what they are doing. They also pick up their phone and are reasonably friendly. End of the day, I think they got a bit of 'marketing momentum' going that is adding bias. There's plenty of content out there showing their 'wicked grapple,' but on seeing the actual thing build quality and in use, I can't actually say its any better than anyone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say despite EA trying and the aggressive marketing, I find the Land Pride grapple seems like a better designed product (simple thing about hoses rubbing still not fixed). If you have the opportunity, ignore the BS EA 'sales pitch' why theirs's is better and compare the two visually and in use.

Land Pride grapples are in stock at number of dealers in NC and only a few hundred more than the equivalent EA grapple. You can also 0% 24 month finance them (+some fees).

In summary, IMO 'how great EA wicked grapple' is way overblown and it seems people are drinking the cool aid. Look into other brands... don't think you'll be disappointed.

EDIT: Did a thorough comparison of EA and homestead grapple and honestly struggling to find where EA is better (aside from marketing).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
Nov 2, 2021
I chose the EA one because of the serrations on both the bottom and the lid. However I ordered it Sept 17 and last time I checked it's expected to ship in February...
The Homestead has serrations on the bottom and the lid as well. What I like about it is the way it has a flat bottom so it is free standing when not connected to the tractor.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
won't comment on which is 'better' but big issue is probably DELIVERY time. Maybe YOU can wait 12 weeks ( 3 MONTHS) for it ? That'd be early April..best case, 20 weeks ...mid June ??

Also look at weight..That has to be subtracted from the loader 'capacity' to get the real 'payload' value.
Bingo.

Weight is a double-edged sword.

SDT

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
Nov 2, 2021

The EA weighs 239lbs, the Homestead Independence weighs 190 lbs, the Homestead Pinnacle weighs 302lbs. The EA and Independence have 1/4" teeth and the Pinnacle has 5/16" teeth.

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
Nov 2, 2021
Homestead doesn't appear to know what their grapple weighs. They state 190lb and 240lb on the same page. The EA is quite a bit more expensive and the lid opens wider i.e. 36" compared to 29". The EA will most likely have a longer lead time. If you buy the Homestead it's unlikely that you'll report back and say that you should have bought the EA. And the same goes if you buy the EA. I certainly would buy the EA Wicked 60 again but my only other point of comparison is the Land Pride grapple I had on the BX25D so apples to oranges.
I asked Homestead about the different weights on the website. The 240lbs is the shipping weight and the grapple itself weighs 190lbs.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I asked Homestead about the different weights on the website. The 240lbs is the shipping weight and the grapple itself weighs 190lbs.
Interesting!
My Mid-State Equipment (Denton, NC.) 60" grapple actually weighs 500 lbs.
Loader capacity is 3,000 lbs. so grapple weight is not really an issue for me.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Interesting!
My Mid-State Equipment (Denton, NC.) 60" grapple actually weighs 500 lbs.
Loader capacity is 3,000 lbs. so grapple weight is not really an issue for me.
I chose the Wicked 60 rather than the 66 because it's 400lb vs. 660lb. That's considerably more weight and cost for minimal performance upgrade ... in my opinion.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks for the clarification. The Homestead grapples look to be great alternatives to EA. Lots of choices these days.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In fact, I'd go as far as to say despite EA trying and the aggressive marketing, I find the Land Pride grapple seems like a better designed product (simple thing about hoses rubbing still not fixed).
To be fair, owners of EA grapples haven't reported hoses failing due to contact between the hose and grapple, but EA did in fact make a change to the routing of the hoses a few months ago. Look at the post and photos that @Matt Ellerbee showed in the EA thread. I corrected the issue on my grapple because I'm picky and sleeved the hoses for good measure but that "problem" has been addressed.

As for cool aid and hype ... if you say so.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I chose the Wicked 60 rather than the 66 because it's 400lb vs. 660lb. That's considerably more weight and cost for minimal performance upgrade ... in my opinion.
I choose the 60" Mid-State Equipment grapple for three very specific reasons.
It has a tine design that I felt would work best for ripping out vines.
It has a full coverage steel back plate (adds a lot to the weight, but gives tractor total protection from sticks).
It was 1/2 the cost of the EA grapple.

I LIKE EA equipment!

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I choose the 60" Mid-State Equipment grapple for three very specific reasons.
It has a tine design that I felt would work best for ripping out vines.
It has a full width steel back plate (adds a lot to the weight, but gives tractor total protection from sticks).
It was 1/2 the cost of the then EA price.

I LIKE EA equipment!
Lot's of good choices these days so it's hard to go wrong. I like EA equipment too but I look at other brands as well when figuring out what best serves my needs. The search is half the fun! :LOL:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Lot's of good choices these days so it's hard to go wrong. I like EA equipment too but I look at other brands as well when figuring out what best serves my needs. The search is half the fun! :LOL:
Absolutely agree!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I ripped out 1000' of wild grape with just my pallet forks, ok took a little longer but, hey, it's trac5or seat time !
bigger isn't always better and you don't need extra heavy duty implements for a lot of jobs.
the idea is to use NOT abuse all equipment, that way your grankids will have fun using them when you're gone...

Advil

Jan 5, 2022
West Coast
The reason everyone orders the EA grapple is because they are up front about the weight and the materials used. The hardox and 450 steel is simply top shelf steel. And they laser cut the holes in it for weight. It's pretty much the strongest grapple you can get in the 200-something pound class. There's plenty of videos of people plucking logs by the end (which you should always be careful doing to avoid bending the tines) but no one has ever shown a Wicked grapple actually tweaked from doing this. And then there are the factory videos of them abusing the heck out of it and the tractor and it not bending. It's kind of hard to argue with that.

You can find quite a few examples of the Land Pride grapple getting tweaked and bent.

I'm sure you CAN hurt the Wicked grapple, but it looks like it would take some serious doing. So I'm about a month in on the (at the time) 5-6 month wait to get one. I want the strongest AND the lightest possible. Unless another company starts showing exactly what they are building their grapples and other implements out of and how, they won't make a dent in EA's reputation even if they have a great product.

Minthral, EA just told you 6 to 9 months now? Holy cow. That really is out there.

Reactions: 2 users