Dumping landline phone service?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I know the OP is good but anyone else wanting to cut costs and still keep a land line, OOMA is a great option of you have internet anyway. You can fax over it and I even used it for a legacy alarm system until we upgraded to a cell based one. At $6 something a month it's a great option for those that still can't cut the cord completely.
When the ability to keep my landline phone number became available on OOMA, I switched to them. I pay a bit more for the premium service that gives me another phone number for my fax as well as other benefits. I also set it up to ring the cellphone at the same time as the home phone. The small fee on the basic service will vary by location since it is just the taxes and fees demanded by local governments. It has been some years and I am pleased with the service.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Haven't had a landline since 2011. Well, I take that back. We had one included with our ISP until 2015. Never hooked one up though. We can fax from email (who uses a fax?!?)

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Smartphones are your threat to everything you do in your daily (and nightly) lifestyles. Has been for years. Now your vehicles are smart.

Among all the other methods whether you want to believe...you are being spied on.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
This is true. Do a packet capture on your home network while you are asleep. All your things report back to the fatherland while you sleep. This is the very reason I restrict outbound data from certain devices overnight. It's actuality scary the network traffic

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Haven't had a landline since 2011. Well, I take that back. We had one included with our ISP until 2015. Never hooked one up though. We can fax from email (who uses a fax?!?)
It is easier to fax a blueprint than to scan and attach to an email so some customers just want the hard copy. But yes, faxing has fallen off and I may drop the line sometime in the future.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
It is easier to fax a blueprint than to scan and attach to an email so some customers just want the hard copy. But yes, faxing has fallen off and I may drop the line sometime in the future.
We've had Analog pairs since we moved into our place, 25 years ago. Our internet comes via copper wires. Can anyone relate? Our internet speeds are less than 1mbs.

Two tin cans standing by....

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When the ability to keep my landline phone number became available on OOMA, I switched to them. I pay a bit more for the premium service that gives me another phone number for my fax as well as other benefits. I also set it up to ring the cellphone at the same time as the home phone. The small fee on the basic service will vary by location since it is just the taxes and fees demanded by local governments. It has been some years and I am pleased with the service.
FAX? Didn’t know that people still do that.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
FAX? Didn’t know that people still do that.
What's a FAX? Is that the new vernacular like Kewl for cool?

I hate learning new languages. Fortunately or otherwise, FAX doesn't register....and I'm not going to research it to learn what it is...absolutely not possible it is some that I have forgotten...LOL

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Voip is good as long as you have a decent internet connection.

I've switched to these guys

You can port your existing number for free. Their basic plans start at US$0.85/mo per line and low pay-per-use rates, unlimited plans available too. Great for business lines if you have multiple lines and cell numbers you want to manage. Good support. You get a lot more functionality than Ooma (i.e. advanced call routing, failover, digital receptionist, call recordings and transcription) but a steeper learning curve. I wish I switched over sooner.

PM me if you want a referral code that gives us both kickbacks if you sign up.