Drive it or trailer it?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I mow along a straight road where you can see 1/4 mile in both directions. I don't expect drivers to move over if there is oncoming traffic but many will not give an inch with no traffic. Now I am going to get in trouble for saying this but here goes; the majority of male drivers will move over but very few females will give an inch. My wife mows as well and says the same thing. I did notice some improvement since I started wearing a florescent orange shirt and hat. It is illegal to throw the grass on the road but I will no longer turn my back on the morons, so the grass goes wherever. I am waiting for an officer to stop so I can explain why I do this and suggest that he might enforce the speed limit.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I would trailer it. My road is a 2 lane county road, straight as an arrow but during shift change at Honda it is a freakin speedway with people regularly going over 70 and side by side. I’ve come up to the RR tracks and going north you cannot see the other side, only to have some idiot passing in the double yellow and getting pissed at me for being in my lane. Do they notice an orange tractor with lights mowing or plowing and slow down? nope. I’ve added strobes to my B3200 to get more visibility. Will add them to the B1700 as well. I don’t have enough mass on my tractors to not get killed and I seriously doubt I wouldn’t get messed up if they hit my truck
In the “good ol’ days” they had backward-pointed Spikes at the exits of drive-in theaters to ward-off drivers trying to sneak in the back-way.

That’s what you need at that RR hillock in the wrong-way/no-passing areas.

There’s been so many late-nite drunks who have killed ordinary folks by entering the freeway ramps backwards that I’ve wondered why the highway departments haven’t install those on exit ramps.

jameister

Equipment
BX2370
Jul 1, 2021
Cataldo Idaho
I had someone begging me to drive the old 'Moline to a Dairy Day Parade. 11 Miles.

Even though it's almost 7,000 pounds, no chance at 11 mph, no lights, and fast traffic. I can't trailer it.

I had a buddy killed on his side-by-side recently. Same stretch of road...

Call me gun-shy.
i call you smart.
failure to learn from others is a fatal flaw.

jameister

Equipment
BX2370
Jul 1, 2021
Cataldo Idaho
We have similar laws, but often overlooked.

The placement of the SMV emblem is critical. The emblem is required to be displayed in the rear and as close to the center of the vehicle or implement as possible. It must be mounted with the point up, at a right angle or perpendicular to the direction of travel so that it can be seen by motorists approaching from the rear. The lower edge of the emblem must be at least 2 feet and not more than 10 feet above the ground.

file:///C:/Users/len/AppData/Local/Temp/AE3507.pdf
that's kansas for you.