Drill Pump for transferring diesel

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
I'm not sure the best place to put this so if this isn't it feel free to move it.

I was given a very barely used Flo-N-Go gas caddy. The hose was hard as a rock because it sat around for so long so I replaced it all and cleaned the tank. Originally I was hoping to be able to put a little air pressure in it from the top to get flow from the bottom up into the tractor. It worked but I was not comfortable at all with how much pressure I had to put in it to get a decent flow. I also don't have a great way to use a gravity feed on it either. So I got this drill pump from Harbor freight mainly to see how well a pump would work. I emptied about 2 gallons in probably 15-20 seconds. The pictures are just of it in a test setup. I'll probably get some more hose and put the pump in the middle and attach it to the tank or something of that nature. Any reason I shouldn't move forward with this plan instead of the 12v diesel transfer pump harbor freight has? If I can save 150 bucks with this 10 dollar pump that would be great (I'll need it just to get diesel for the winter lol). Just for reference I transfer probably 15-20 gallons every 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

IMG_20221009_170800946.jpg
IMG_20221009_170755350_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221009_170746972_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221009_170737744_HDR.jpg

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I have used one. It worked. It didn't work long, though. I got a deal on a home heating oil tank, half full, for free. I just had to haul it away. The drill pump got it emptied into an alternative container, so it was worth the price for a one shot.

And that's what it was. Next time I went to use it, it didn't work.

I'm using the HF diesel pump. It seems to be holding up.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That pump has a description that it specifically is for WATER.

Plus the fact your drill likely has a brush equipped motor that makes sparks.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I used a battery powered pump exactly like this to take 30 gallons of 2 year old gas out of my old F150, worked well.

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
I used a battery powered pump exactly like this to take 30 gallons of 2 year old gas out of my old F150, worked well.

To drill into this a little deeper, I guess one of the questions floating around in my head is what is the difference in one of these and the drill pumps in as far as how they are built. I'm assuming it's all plastic components between the two. I know harbor freight says it's just for water, but I'm guessing components on both of these are similar? I also have one of these, was just looking for something that would work in the caddy. Thanks all!

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
To drill into this a little deeper, I guess one of the questions floating around in my head is what is the difference in one of these and the drill pumps in as far as how they are built. I'm assuming it's all plastic components between the two. I know harbor freight says it's just for water, but I'm guessing components on both of these are similar? I also have one of these, was just looking for something that would work in the caddy. Thanks all!
I have a 30 gallon steel fuel caddy. It uses a hand crank pump and it’s pretty quick to fill a tank even with the hand pump.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I used one of those pumps to pump UDT when I changed oil. It lasted a month or so. They have rubber vanes that aren't impervious to oil. The second one, similar but not identical, wouldn't even prime.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
Not being rated for gas, I would definitely not recommend doing that. Should something bad happen, your insurance will bail. I got a battery operated pump for diesel to pump out of my Jerry cans. Mine is rated for gas also. About $70. Works good. There are several brands to choose from.
1665660989776.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've been using one of the HF 12v pumps for a few years and it works well. It does have a slow drip around the little plunger that the lever presses on. I added a switch on a cord to activate the pump when the nozzle is at the tank so it isn't dead-heading while I climb on and off the tractor.

My setup is a couple plastic drums in the tractor shed and this pump is installed with a tube in the bung. It's fastened to a shelf and has a cord with a "2 flat" trailer plug on it. Both tractors and my tow-behind generator (repurposed light tower) are all equipped with a place to plug it in.

I bought a similar second pump from Amazon a while back to recover free fuel from a heating oil tank. It worked well to take the pump and a car battery to the basement and carry 5 gallon cans out. Fortunately it was a daylight basement, so no stairs.

Figured that pump would be handy for other uses while not needing to disturb the HF pump. Handy for transferring from another 55 gallon drum to the one with the HF pump. Also for using the generator as a transportable tank that can be pumped from.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I use the cheap HF pump but like all the others pumps of this type, they don't last very long. As a backup, I got a Hand Crank Pump which might be more suitable for your application. I works well filling up the tank of a BX. However, I put an in line filter and some sealing tape on the threaded pipe joints,

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Agreed, will not last, plastic, and not designed for regular use I would imagine. For me however, the happy homeowner and not a farmer, the 1-2 times a year I need it, it works well. Me and getting a pump to prime manually just never works. This thing just seems to prime itself and go.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Plus the fact your drill likely has a brush equipped motor that makes sparks.

Diesel is not easy to ignite. I've seen a lit match dropped in a puddle on asphalt, and the match went out.

When I pumped out that tank, I used a 120v old Black and Decker drill. Not a problem.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I’ve had a couple of the drill pumps and used them to transfer diesel before. Worked okay, but always ended up leaking. I also used it to transfer used motor oil from some 5 gallon buckets into empty gallon containers to take for recycling. It pumped it fine, but would leak.

I see where it could work for a once and done type situation, but if it was something I was going to use on a semi regular basis I would go a different route.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA

sam24and48

Equipment
BX2200
Feb 19, 2018
Goshen, IN
So just to update this. I went the route @BruceP suggested and got a small and inexpensive 12v pump. It works really well, much slower amount than I would like but it will suffice for now until I upgrade to one of the larger diesel pump kits.

Also of note, the guys at the auto store gave me "fuel" appropriate hose. After putting everything together in the last post I had, it started seeping out the hose where it rested at the floor (Thus the cardboard in the picture till I made sure there were no leaks). Looked at it closely and it was some kind of cheap heater hose. Needless to say that's all in the trash and the new setup has been bone dry on the outside.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction!

IMG_20221118_174501177.jpg
IMG_20221118_174515548_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221118_174526577_HDR.jpg