Downrigger issue

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
I have an almost two year old BX25D that I am having an issue with. The left downrigger for the backhoe is very slow to extend and when down it doesn't have enough pressure to lift that side. It's still under warranty but there is at least a $300.00 round trip involved which I will have to pay for. It has done this since new but I wasn't too concerned because I had warranty. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? I am tempted to try and diagnose myself but will need to buy a gauge and fittings to make a pressure gauge. If it is a pressure issue I guess the dealer is the answer but if a bad hose or something I could look after that. Just pondering guys and looking for any input.
Thanks,
Barry

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
First question i would ask is does it stay up on its own ?
I thinking control valve issue. Likely leaking internally.
Swap cylinders. That will tell you all you need to know.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Do you have the extended warranty??
If not, unfortunately, I think the warranty for implements is only 1 year, so I think you might be out of luck. I know on my B2650, the BH is considered an implement and not part of the tractor, therefore only 1 year.

https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/warranty/limited-warranty

Would hate to have to pay to get it to the dealer, then find out its not covered and get hit with more of an unexpected bill.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had a set of Cannon downriggers on the boat and 20 pound finned downrigger balls and never,, ,,,,oh wait,,, Oh your talkin about your tractor,, never mind :rolleyes:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
First question i would ask is does it stay up on its own ?
I thinking control valve issue. Likely leaking internally.
Swap cylinders. That will tell you all you need to know.
In addition to Tooljunkie's question/thoughts, I would also suggest disconnecting and re-connecting the couplings. Maybe one on that side isn't quite seated.

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
Tooljunkie, that's an excellent suggestion about swapping the cylinders. I never thought of there being a cylinder problem as they aren't bent. Should have been sharper.
Mike you just shot me down in flames. I will call the dealer and check the warranty but it looks like you are right. I should have acted sooner but once I had the tractor I was having too much fun to be without it.
RCW I will definitely check the hose connections
skeets, what can I say:D
Thanks to all,
Barry

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Tooljunkie, that's an excellent suggestion about swapping the cylinders. I never thought of there being a cylinder problem as they aren't bent. Should have been sharper.
Mike you just shot me down in flames. I will call the dealer and check the warranty but it looks like you are right. I should have acted sooner but once I had the tractor I was having too much fun to be without it.
RCW I will definitely check the hose connections
skeets, what can I say:D
Thanks to all,
Barry
I feel your pain. I have had outrigger issues myself on my new BH77.:mad::mad:

Mine would leak off to the ground very fast, in only a few hours. 2 dealer trips and 3 months later and its being delivered tonight after work!:D:D

When the driver showed up to pick it up he was kind of like "huh you brought me here for this?", but something was clearly wrong and I wanted it fixed under warranty, not 5 years later on my dime when the problem is much worse

Good luck on yours!!