does buying a tractor work like buying a car?

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
but im just not comprehending this - one guy gave me like 2% off MSRP, and the other guys that have responded were MSRP and one was ABOVE MSRP listed on the kubota site.

even the green tractor quote was like this.
It's like that everywhere right now. The inventories are very low so it's a seller's market. The only way to get significant money off MSRP right now is to pay cash. I paid cash for an L2501 last fall and got over 17% off MSRP but that was because it was a red-headed stepchild tractor that nobody besides me wanted. I priced a bunch of other models and everything was around MSRP unless you paid cash. Even with cash it was still only around 6 - 8% off MSRP.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have 12 acres mixed wooded, barns, house, chicken pens, soon to be pond, etc.

My uncle had a L3400 and after using it for a few years I knew I needed a bigger tractor.

Settled on the L3800 but after year looking for a used one in good shape with a loader could not find one.

Found a L4600 with low hours near my house. After a test drive and a look over by my uncle I bought it from the young man.

I have never regretted getting it. I can unload pallets of corn from my trailer using the forks, drag and pickup trees to carry to burn pile. i tend my 1 acre garden with it. Maintain around 1500 feet of gravel road using my land plane. Bought a core areator that with weights on it weighs in around 800#'s, no problem improving my grassy areas with it.

So, I have been please with my purchase of the 2012 L4600 that had 276 hours on it back in 2014 when I bought it. Her name is Katie and I am on the way out now to warm her up to go move around some large cabinets to put in my barn.

Best of luck.

Jay

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Kubota finance requires ktac insurance, expect about $400/yr for a 25k tractor for insurance from ktac. If you pay cash it's up to you if you want insurance.
That's crazy--for them to charge that much. I now have $20,000 of coverage on its own policy for $97.00/year. On my old USAA policy it was covered under my personal property limits. I'd definitely check around

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Overall it sounds like you're looking at too small of a machine. And you should consider a used machine for your first machine - then you can make all your rookie errors on that, and then buy a good one that you're not going to break.
I think this is some very sound advice. For what you are doing I would be looking at an L used somewhere--even with shipping costs you will be better off.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
That's crazy--for them to charge that much. I now have $20,000 of coverage on its own policy for $97.00/year. On my old USAA policy it was covered under my personal property limits. I'd definitely check around
They are two very different coverages.

Reactions: 1 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I agree with NHSleddog. KTAC covers accidental damage to the machine and covered attachments during operation where other insurance options are very unlikely to do that. Additionally, they cover operator and comprehensive damages when off of your own property as well.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
And if you don't need KTAC for finance reasons, then you need to question whether you need that additional coverage. I am in favour of insurance for misfortune (e.g. stolen equipment, fire), but less convinced about insurance for operator error.

The question is whether you're more likely to do something dumb than the average guy - because their premiums must be set at a price point that covers all the people who do something dumb. I figure I'm less likely to break a tractor than the average person, and therefore I'd be on the losing side of the insurance. But I also have the luxury of being able to break my tractor and afford to fix it - I'm not living paycheck to paycheck.

If you could afford to repair something you broke (including writing off the machine), then I think you'd be better with fire and theft cover and being reasonably careful not to break stuff. The two exceptions to that are if you're using the machine commercially or driving on public roads - in those cases I think you need some liability insurance in case you hurt someone else or damage someone else's stuff - in the US I believe those can be very expensive claims.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I curious how so in the event I ever buy a new tractor.

I agree with NHSleddog. KTAC covers accidental damage to the machine and covered attachments during operation where other insurance options are very unlikely to do that. Additionally, they cover operator and comprehensive damages when off of your own property as well.
My policy with this farmers group does the exact same thing--so far as I know all insurance covers accidental damage--otherwise its not really insurance, its just you giving them money. If I back my Bosh Hog (also on the policy) into a telephone pole and destroy it it's covered.

As far as personal liability I will need to check on that but I believe my HO policy would probably cover that...another thing I need to check on to make sure.

Now IF it covers mechanical issues out of warranty that would be worth it.

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY

My policy with this farmers group does the exact same thing--so far as I know all insurance covers accidental damage--otherwise its not really insurance, its just you giving them money. If I back my Bosh Hog (also on the policy) into a telephone pole and destroy it it's covered.

As far as personal liability I will need to check on that but I believe my HO policy would probably cover that...another thing I need to check on to make sure.

I know standard insurance covers comprehensive (tree falls on it, lightning strike, hail damage, etc.) and theft claims on your property but I do not believe that it covers accidental damage during operation or anything that occurs off of your property.

Last edited:

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
The Equine discount mentioned above ended 12/31/2020 per Kubota's website.

I just bought a tractor and the equine discount actually didn't save me any money and I went with traditional zero percent financing.

And keep that tractor away from burn pits. There are many horror stories out there with tractors being burned up pushing brush into a burn pit. Mine included.

saylor

Jan 14, 2021
GARLAND TEXAS BABY ! ! ! 1
The Equine discount mentioned above ended 12/31/2020 per Kubota's website.

I just bought a tractor and the equine discount actually didn't save me any money and I went with traditional zero percent financing.

And keep that tractor away from burn pits. There are many horror stories out there with tractors being burned up pushing brush into a burn pit. Mine included.

Please see your dealer for details or KubotaUSA.com. This program applies only to members in good standing with the National Cutting Horse Association and other qualifying national or regional equine organizations. Please see dealer for details. Offer expires 12/31/21.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Not really, in my experience:
1. The dealer was interested in seeing that I got into the correct tractor for my needs
2. The dealer didn't care whether I bought it or not, the deal offered was the deal.

I paid about 15% less than MSRP for my L2501 last year. I understand that deals like that aren't common right now.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

First off, if you tip your tractor over in the yard, your homeowners does NOT cover it. Ask the underwriter not your agent. Fire/theft/vandalism is usually what is covered by those homeowner policies.

If you blow your motor in the yard, your homeowners will not cover it.

If you blow the transmission, your homeowners will not cover it.

If your NEIGHBORS tree falls on your tractor, your homeowners will not cover it.

KTAC - all good. And not just a pro-rated repair, an actual replacement.

I have a buddy right now with a fried 40K JD that his HOMEOWNERS refused to cover (fire). He thought he was covered to.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Good points on HO insurance. I however actually have what is called a Farm Equipment Policy through the same company as my HO/Auto (a farmers federation insurance company)--as they actually told me exactly what you have described above about 'their' HO coverages.

This policy runs $104/year and covers any and all damages, loss, theft or destruction from whatever source, but obviously not a simple mechanical failure.

This is all good information and I agree that folks (me included) need to be sure of exactly what coverages they do have. For years I thought my 'golf cart' (which is actually modified) was covered from loss or theft because that's what the 'agent' on the phone specifically told me when I asked--it was not.

MSG H

Equipment
L3901 HST RETIRED MIL.
Dec 20, 2020
VA

Attachments

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
KTAC - all good. And not just a pro-rated repair, an actual replacement.
Like any other insurance policy, KTAC will not replace the equipment if it's not "totaled". They will pay for repairs if it's repairable.

If you suffer a total loss, they do not actually replace your equipment. KTAC buys it back from you for exactly what you paid for it. You receive a portion of the money (value at time of loss) when the case is settled and then the remainder of the money if you purchase the same or more expensive model within 2 months of the settlement being finalized. It's your choice whether to take a partial payment and walk away or to go buy a replacement. If you buy a replacement, your out-of-pocket costs are inflation - how much more does the same equipment cost now versus when you bought the original that was lost. If you upgrade, the upgrade costs are on you as well.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I believe KTAC price is simply a percentage of the purchase price, but I am assuming.
KTAC IS a percentage of the price. Same price for everyone in the US, I'm not sure about other countries.

It also covers your tractor off site and in-transit.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Like any other insurance policy, KTAC will not replace the equipment if it's not "totaled". They will pay for repairs if it's repairable.

If you suffer a total loss, they do not actually replace your equipment. KTAC buys it back from you for exactly what you paid for it. You receive a portion of the money (value at time of loss) when the case is settled and then the remainder of the money if you purchase the same or more expensive model within 2 months of the settlement being finalized. It's your choice whether to take a partial payment and walk away or to go buy a replacement. If you buy a replacement, your out-of-pocket costs are inflation - how much more does the same equipment cost now versus when you bought the original that was lost. If you upgrade, the upgrade costs are on you as well.
According to my salesman and the two cases that I know of, it is a replacement policy. Any fix/repair up to and including a new tractor.