Does anyone else use Jewelweed to get rid of poison oak/ivy

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
There's nothing worse than waking up during the night clawing at a rash of poison oak, it's an itch that you can't get rid of fast enough. If your not allergic to poison oak, then you don't know how lucky you are! I have battled that poison for 45 years, but last year I found out about jewelweed and the battle is over. I spend a lot of my time in the woods year round. I hunt, plant food plots, clear shooting lanes and trails, and dig ginseng when season opens. But last fall I joined a ginseng forum to see what other dealers were paying around the country, and that's when I first heard of jewelweed. Forget about shots, creams, and steroid packs to get rid of that nasty itch, just go the the woods now for your prescription. It grows right beside poison oak, and I believe God put it there for a reason :)
You can also use it as a preventative if you know you will be working near poison, just rub it on any exposed body parts.

This is not my video, but it has a good description of it and shows you how to use it >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1XTxAzw04Q

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers we used it when I was a kid for poison ivy. An old timer down the road told us kids about it,, take the stocks and mash them up really good and then rub the juice on the rash,, was a bit icky but it worked,,

Clinical Study on Jewelweed
"The Results of a Clinical Study, in which a 1:4 jewelweed preparation was compared for its effectiveness with other standard poison ivy dermatitis treatments was published in 1958 (Annals of Allerty 1958;16:526-527). Of 115 patients treated with jewelweed, 108 responded ‘most dramatically to the topical application of this medication and were entirely relieved of their symptoms within 2 or 3 days after the institution of treatment.' It was concluded that jewelweed is an excellent substitute for ACTH and the corticosteroids in the treatment of poison ivy dermatitis. The active principle in the plant responsible for this activity remains unidentified." by Varro Tyler, PhD in his book HERBS OF CHOICE

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I have herd of it, seen people use it but never used it myself. I am not allergic to poison ive or poison oak.:D

Have used it for other rashes.:cool: