Do I buy a BX1880 or BX2380?

Yan33

Apr 21, 2021
Ottawa, ON
Hi Yan, I cann,t remember if you were going to buy used, or new, but check Ottawa KIJIJI, they have both the BX1880, and the BX2380 listed for sale. To get an idea of local selling prices do a search in all of Ontario.
I’ve been keeping an eye on kijiji but everytime a tractor gets posted it disappears pretty quickly. And from what I’ve seen they tend to hold their value pretty so I’m not sure how much money I’d save buying used unless it’s much older. Given that I plan on having this tractor for a long time I think I’d rather just buy it new and have peace of mind that it’s being looked after and well maintained/serviced

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bought mine new, looked on a friday, delivered next tuesday. Paid cash as it was my 65th birthday present to myslef, 3 years ago. If you finance, I bet 0% is a good rate.....and payments on a 23s shouldn't be much more than an 80..... ? When you mak the deal, have them include the 3ph kit as well as the 50hr fluid change.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have never heard any one say geeeee I wish I had less horse power,, 2380 or 2680 would be my choice

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I have never heard any one say geeeee I wish I had less horse power,, 2380 or 2680 would be my choice
You guys are probably right that the BX1880 might not have enough oomph for other PTO duties other than mowing. Additionally, the undersized tires are not a plus, particularly if they are R1's and you use the tractor for mowing. But as far as the loader and 3PH capability goes, there is no difference, since mechanically the BX1880 and BX2380 are identical unlike the previous generations of BX's that even the wheelbase was different between the 18 and 23 horsepower models.

Rmay6850

Equipment
BX2680, RTV X900
Apr 29, 2021
Virginia
I recently purchase the 1880 (9.3 hrs) and realized that the PTO hp was not enough to run a bagging system and chipper that I want to add. I’m currently trying to see what my dealer can do to get me the 2680 :-(
Think through and research all the requirements that future implements may need.

Last edited:

BadAndy

Equipment
BX23s TLB-BX2822A Snow blower-LP BB-HLA Forks-Craftsman YT4000 Lawn Tractor
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Hey all,

My name’s Yan and I live in Ottawa, ON, Canada. I just finished building a new house on a 2 acre plot of land and I’m looking for a sub compact tractor. I’ve done lots of research on tractors and have narrowed it down to the BX1880 or BX2380.

Our property consists of a treed lot with approximately 3/4-1 acre of grass. I spend a lot of time outside and I know I will get plenty of use out of the bucket on the BX models. Given our Canadian winters, I also plan on buying a rear mounted snowblower to clear our 100 foot long driveway. Most of our snowfalls are fairly reasonable by Canadian standards however it’s not uncommon for us to get 12-15 inches of snow in one day a few times a year.

Im wondering if any of you would have some feedback on which tractor I should
Purchase. I feel like I could get the job done with the 1880.. my only concern is the snow removal and the possibility that it may lack power if I ever want to purchase other attachments for it. That being said, I also know the 2380 has some appealing features (adjustable seat, armrests, cruise control, etc).

Essentially I’m just trying to decide if spending the extra $3500 (Canadian) on the 2380 is worth it! I have a friend who owns an 1880 and is quite happy with it.. but I haven’t met any 2380 owners or someone who has used their tractor for snow removal.

Any feedback you could give me would be appreciated! Thanks all.
Hi Yan,
Not sure if you made the purchase yet, I am also in the Ottawa area... I am finalizing the purchase of a BX23s (backhoe) at the end of May, My price is just over 25,000.00 (quick attach and R4 tires). I am on 1 acre fairly new build and will get a lot of use out of the backhoe for drainage-ditch-rock and logs ect... With a new 2 acre lot you may want to keep that in mind. I have done a lot of research and these little tractors can do so much. My attachments will be Front mount snow blower (100meter + inclined driveway) - 54" box blade (to fix the 100meter + driveway lol) - backhoe thumb.

Yan33

Apr 21, 2021
Ottawa, ON
Hi Yan,
Not sure if you made the purchase yet, I am also in the Ottawa area... I am finalizing the purchase of a BX23s (backhoe) at the end of May, My price is just over 25,000.00 (quick attach and R4 tires). I am on 1 acre fairly new build and will get a lot of use out of the backhoe for drainage-ditch-rock and logs ect... With a new 2 acre lot you may want to keep that in mind. I have done a lot of research and these little tractors can do so much. My attachments will be Front mount snow blower (100meter + inclined driveway) - 54" box blade (to fix the 100meter + driveway lol) - backhoe thumb.
Sorry for the late reply! I haven’t purchased the tractor yet but I plan on buying it mid-June. Moving into our house in a couple weeks. I did consider the 23S but I don’t think I can justify the extra money for the Backhoe at this point. While I do think I would get some use out of it in the first couple years as I’m taking care of some landscaping and such, I don’t think I’ll have much use of it beyond that!
Hi Yan,
Sorry for the late reply! I haven’t purchased the tractor yet but I plan on buying it mid-June. Moving into our house in a couple weeks. I did consider the 23S but I don’t think I can justify the extra money for the Backhoe at this point. While I do think I would get some use out of it in the first couple years as I’m taking care of some landscaping and such, I don’t think I’ll have much use for it beyond that!

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
All good comments. I`m in the BX2380 column. That tractor is a work horse.
I`ve always learned that when it comes to tractors, buy more than you think you`ll need, you`ll need it.

The BX1880 is an ok lawn mower, but anything more than that, you`ll tax it to death.
That is wrong.. It all depends on the use. I have an 1880, and love it. I live in the Western Mountains of Maine and get a lot of snow. My 1880 handles the snow just fine, with the front mount 2816 blower. I have a MMM but prefer a regular riding mower to the Kubota. I am older now and lifting things is difficult, but the bucket on the front has lifted items that I never could. If the individual is interest in rear implements he should definitely go with 2380. FEL lifting is about the same for all the 80's. my 2816 snowblower eliminate the snow on my blacktop driveway that is 300 ft long in about 20 minutes. I say that is good, and I would never want a rear mount. I picked up my 2816 for $3000 used, and in great condition.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey Yan,,, I have never met any one that said they wished they had less horse power

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Out of the 2 you list BX2380 for the increased pto HP. If I was buying a BX I would buy the BX 2680, there are so many attachments that recommend pto HP at a minimum of around 20HP. Good luck with your new tractor.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Am enjoying my 1880. does everything I want it to. BUT, always go bigger if you have the bucks. Sure would suck if you went low and needed higher power. I’ll revisit my selection after 2 years with the 1880 to see if an upgrade is needed. Good luck on your decision.