DIY toothbar - quick and sturdy, reasonable price!

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I've seen some of the toothbars that everyone has made on the forum here and it got me thinking that I need one! Like many of you I prefer the satisfaction of doing something myself and also saving money.

The teeth were in a kit on ebay, 5 weldable shanks plus the replaceable teeth were about $130 shipped. Stopped at our local scrap steel bargain barn and picked up some 1/2" stock which ran me about $40 ($1 per lb). Welded it up with my 230amp Hobart welder and some 7018 rods and in about an hour I had my toothbar....except where my cutting torch ran out of gas and delayed my second hole from being cut on the right side of the bar.

The cool part is that two bolts hold it on, and it slips off with a couple of wacks with a hammer. Pushing forward it wedges itself on nicely and doesn't move at all. These teeth are rated for a much larger machine so I don't expect to bend them or have to get a replacement tooth anytime in the near future. :D

Total investment about $175.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
YUP I think that should pretty well handle anything you want to get into,,;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
The one I made for a 27 HP tractor was a bar 1/2" by 4" with end ears that were bolted to the sides of bucket. Teeth were sections of "T" fence posts, with a lap end under the lip of bucket. To keep it there a few scraps of steel were lapped over the bucket lip top edge. A 1/2" bolt at each ear held it there. Worked great for earth digging. Maim problem was getting sufficient weld bead because of the bumps on the flat of the "T". Fixed that by torching off the bumps. Cheap!!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've seen some of the toothbars that everyone has made on the forum here and it got me thinking that I need one! Like many of you I prefer the satisfaction of doing something myself and also saving money.

The teeth were in a kit on ebay, 5 weldable shanks plus the replaceable teeth were about $130 shipped. Stopped at our local scrap steel bargain barn and picked up some 1/2" stock which ran me about $40 ($1 per lb). Welded it up with my 230amp Hobart welder and some 7018 rods and in about an hour I had my toothbar....except where my cutting torch ran out of gas and delayed my second hole from being cut on the right side of the bar.

The cool part is that two bolts hold it on, and it slips off with a couple of wacks with a hammer. Pushing forward it wedges itself on nicely and doesn't move at all. These teeth are rated for a much larger machine so I don't expect to bend them or have to get a replacement tooth anytime in the near future. :D

Total investment about $175.
That thing out to be in a horror movie! Ought to move ANYTHING in its way............like rhode island....:D