disc accumulating dirt

mpmitch1

Equipment
l3240 with 514 loader, forks, bush hog, disc, boom pole, FEL
May 24, 2012
madison
I have one gang of disc In the front that always collects dirt. As in it cakes the whole disk and makes ineffective. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to prevent this?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I have one gang of disc In the front that always collects dirt. As in it cakes the whole disk and makes ineffective. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to prevent this?
The damp soil sticking on disk is the reason disk scrapers were an option on some brand of disk harrows. I have seen a piece of chain looped around frame and disk spacer then bolted together help break up the dirt before it gets compacted.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Too wet!!!! Let the soil dry more before attempting to work it. Soil with adequate moisture to "cake" as you describe is very prone to compaction as well. Soil should not be worked when it will form a ball that holds together well when squeezed in your hand, it results in compaction that can impede water infiltration and root development. A disc is an especially bad tool for soil compaction (meaning it does a lot of it) when soil conditions are too moist and/or you have to make multiple passes.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
TX Jim, has your answer. I too have clay soil and if its dry its way to hard to work. I usually try and work it when it has moisture in it, otherwise it's almost impossible to turn over.

Pre Kubota days for me, I used an old JD disc and some of the cutters were missing. I was able to keep some of the dirt out of the disk by hanging a log chain at just the right length to keep the dirt from accumulating. Depending on how damp the soil was it worked pretty well. I will have to say that I got the chain stuck in there a few times and it was a pain in the butt to get out.

Good luck....