Dirt Scoop Sizing

tealetm

Equipment
B7200 and B2601
Apr 20, 2015
Upstate, NY
Hi all- just picked up a B7100HST-D (hydrostatic 17hp). I have a 60" belly mower and access to a 4' box blade.

I'm looking into getting a 3pt mounted dirt scoop. From what I've read they work as a great cheap substitute for a front end loader.

My question is, is a 30" too big for the machine? Should i go with a 24"?

I have unloaded turf tires and no weights at the moment. I'd prefer the 30", but I'm not sure if I have the HP to utilize the extra 6".

I appreciate the help, more questions on my new machine will follow!

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Hey, I have the same tractor (just got it over the winter). Mine came with a scoop, which I wasn't all that interested in to begin with, but after learning how to best use it, it's grown on me a little bit. I'm not sure how they do sizing on them, but here's a picture of it on my tractor (hopefully the picture attaches).
I've found they don't work very well for scooping and stuff. The best way to use them is to lay them on the ground with the top link slightly long so the scoop is tilted back just a little bit. Then you can back up and skim the dirt off the top. As you go back it'll start cutting deeper and deeper, so you'll really have to be on top of that lift lever if you want to keep going backwards. It'll bog down the tractor pretty quick. So really, about 3-4inches deep at, I don't know, 10ft path... That'll make turning the steering wheel very easy. I've got 75lbs hanging off the front bracket of mine and I haven't gotten the front wheels off the ground yet, but I've come darn close.

Keep in mind, I have had about 4 hours of using a scoop. The first hour was trying to figure out how to get dirt into it. Backing into a hill of dirt didn't work. With a smaller bucket I'm sure it'd be easier to get dirt into it, but then again you have to make more trips anyway, so it's a toss-up. Good luck.

Attachments