Dirt Dog (CBX60) or Tarter BB205BL Box Blade for BX23S

Grimloktt

Equipment
B2601
Aug 1, 2021
PA
I can get either of these options for the same price locally. The Tarter (same as Tractor Supply line) is heavier duty w/ thicker metal and weighs 395lbs. The CBX60 is advertised as a compact box blade weighing 258lbs with "lower hitch position for smaller tractors."

Thoughts on which one would be best for the BX23S? Thnx!

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Not a direct comparison but FWIW, I have a Dirt Dog BBX 5 foot box blade, and it weighs 325 lbs. It has done a great job for me - leveling sites 30x30 and 30x16 feet in hard clay with rocks and spreading/leveling over 70 tons of gravel on the sites and driveway. The BBX looks nearly new after a year of use.

I have the LX 2610SU (comes with the big tires, rears are loaded), and I have not had any loss of traction problems. You, however with the smaller contact patches of the BX, might struggle with a heavier box blade full of dirt/gravel.

You did not say what you plan to do with the box blade. Extra weight might help it dig into hard soil, but it would not be of any real advantage spreading gravel on a driveway.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not a direct comparison but FWIW, I have a Dirt Dog BBX 5 foot box blade, and it weighs 325 lbs. It has done a great job for me - leveling sites 30x30 and 30x16 feet in hard clay with rocks and spreading/leveling over 70 tons of gravel on the sites and driveway. The BBX looks nearly new after a year of use.

I have the LX 2610SU (comes with the big tires, rears are loaded), and I have not had any loss of traction problems. You, however with the smaller contact patches of the BX, might struggle with a heavier box blade full of dirt/gravel.

You did not say what you plan to do with the box blade. Extra weight might help it dig into hard soil, but it would not be of any real advantage spreading gravel on a driveway.
[/QUOTE
I can get either of these options for the same price locally. The Tarter (same as Tractor Supply line) is heavier duty w/ thicker metal and weighs 395lbs. The CBX60 is advertised as a compact box blade weighing 258lbs with "lower hitch position for smaller tractors."

Dirt Dog implements are high quality!
Tarter Gate/TSC implements are at the lower end of quality.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Dirt Dog implements are high quality!
Tarter Gate/TSC implements are not!

Reactions: 1 user

wsurff

Equipment
L6060, Backhoe, Front Snow Blower, Grapple, Chipper, Box Blade
Oct 8, 2021
NJ
I have an EA BB. Well made/high quality. Always have to check delivery times for EA products as for much of their stuff, it can take many weeks to get to you.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What about everything attachments box blades?
EVERYTHING built by Everything Attachments is FIRST CLASS QUALITY!

Because their products are such high quality, and thus in such high demand, there are often delivery delays.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
What about Everything Attachments, Land Pride, Homestead and many others? I am sure that they are all good, and they would serve you well. It is a box blade - a fairly simple piece of equipment, and you have the smallest tractor - you cannot work it extra hard. FWIW, the EA Land Shark comparable model weighs the same as my Dirt Dog.

When I bought my tractor, the dealer had everything in stock from Land Pride except the box blade; however, they had the Dirt Dog unit in stock. I did not see any value in waiting for a Land Pride box blade, and it was the correct decision for me. I leveled the 30x30 site the first week I had the tractor, and the shed was installed two weeks later. Although I have only seen positive reviews of Dirt Dog equipment, if it had been a mower, it would have been a more difficult decision.

Talk to your dealer; see how long the waits are for other brands.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I watch Goodworkstractors on YouTube and he tests and sells Dirt Dog products which appear to be well made, and made in the US.

I ran a Land Pride BB1248 behind the BX25 for five years and never managed to damage it, but a "friend" broke all four scarifiers grading an area to store a school bus. I had to pay for replacement parts. My point is that it's unlikely that you'll brake any part of a decent box blade regardless of manufacturer, but the scarifiers are often the weak point. Some manufactures use scarifiers made in India or China, but others make them here in the US and they might be superior.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I watch Goodworkstractors on YouTube and he tests and sells Dirt Dog products which appear to be well made, and made in the US.

I ran a Land Pride BB1248 behind the BX25 for five years and never managed to damage it, but a "friend" broke all four scarifiers grading an area to store a school bus. I had to pay for replacement parts. My point is that it's unlikely that you'll brake any part of a decent box blade regardless of manufacturer, but the scarifiers are often the weak point. Some manufactures use scarifiers made in India or China, but others make them here in the US and they might be superior.
"A friend broke all four scarifiers",....... "I had to pay for replacement parts"?
Has a lesson been learned?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
"A friend broke all four scarifiers",....... "I had to pay for replacement parts"?
Has a lesson been learned?
He lived at my house for a couple of months, but he and his dogs left a trail of destruction and it was time to part ways. He lost some tools of mine too but never offered to replace the tools, the scarifiers, the screen door, etc. He's a good guy but I was happy to see him go.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
He lived at my house for a couple of months, but he and his dogs left a trail of destruction and it was time to part ways. He lost some tools of mine too but never offered to replace the tools, the scarifiers, the screen door, etc. He's a good guy but I was happy to see him go.
Hopefully he will stay gone!

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I have an EA 84inch model that I bought in 2018.
They no longer make that model, but have made "improvements". I do notice that they carry replacement shanks for mine.
I don't think the weight changed much, they list (the new model) at 570#
I have had zero issues and have regraded a 3/5 mile road several times and hooked some big rocks.
No damage.
Not cheap, but a good value.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have an EA 84inch model that I bought in 2018.
They no longer make that model, but have made "improvements". I do notice that they carry replacement shanks for mine.
I don't think the weight changed much, they list (the new model) at 570#
I have had zero issues and have regraded a 3/5 mile road several times and hooked some big rocks.
No damage.
Not cheap, but a good value.

King Kutter box blades are also decent quality, but not at the same level as Everything Attachments.

Grimloktt

Equipment
B2601
Aug 1, 2021
PA
Thank you for the replies! I agreed to purchase a Dirt Dog lighter weight model. Picking it up later this week. Thnx!

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I have a 48" Dirt Dog. Very happy with what it will do behind a BX. The key is to learn how to "level" it. Good luck.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
The thing about a light blade is you can still add weight to it to help it cut in if you decide you need to. I have a 60" TSC box blade I pull behind my B6100. I can actually pull it ok unless i have all 5 rippers down and am trying to get more than a couple inches down. The problem I run into is with the small 3pt lift capacity of the 6100.. I have added 113lbs of weight to the back of my box blade, which in general makes it work better, but i do sometimes have to reverse while pulling up the 3pt to get it to 'dump' when it's full because the ~300lb box blade plus the ~113lb additional weight plus all the weight a 60" box can hold in material is well beyond the stated 500lb 3pt capacity of the tiny tractor. If i had even a smidge more capacity, like 750lb+, i'd say buy the heavier of the two and don't look back.

But by buying the lighter, you still have the option to make it heavier if you choose. I doubt you can damage it with BX levels of pulling traction, either way. I actually had mine fall and hit the ground at full speed 3/hi (9-11mph) because one of my rockshaft arms failed (due to a loose bolt i didn't notice) and even 'dropping anchor' from full speed, did not damage my blade, which is built lighter than the Tarter mentioned earlier. :)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The thing about a light blade is you can still add weight to it to help it cut in if you decide you need to. I have a 60" TSC box blade I pull behind my B6100. I can actually pull it ok unless i have all 5 rippers down and am trying to get more than a couple inches down. The problem I run into is with the small 3pt lift capacity of the 6100.. I have added 113lbs of weight to the back of my box blade, which in general makes it work better, but i do sometimes have to reverse while pulling up the 3pt to get it to 'dump' when it's full because the ~300lb box blade plus the ~113lb additional weight plus all the weight a 60" box can hold in material is well beyond the stated 500lb 3pt capacity of the tiny tractor. If i had even a smidge more capacity, like 750lb+, i'd say buy the heavier of the two and don't look back.

But by buying the lighter, you still have the option to make it heavier if you choose. I doubt you can damage it with BX levels of pulling traction, either way. I actually had mine fall and hit the ground at full speed 3/hi (9-11mph) because one of my rockshaft arms failed (due to a loose bolt i didn't notice) and even 'dropping anchor' from full speed, did not damage my blade, which is built lighter than the Tarter mentioned earlier. :)
As in my post #4.
Dirt Dog is quality!
Tarter Gate (TSC) is not!

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
Anyone have words to say about Southern or Titan box blades? I've seen some of those in my area.