Dipstick hole can spit

FloridaAl

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT, King Kutter 5' bush hog, Howse 4' disc, back blade, plow, boom pole.
May 15, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
My L2500 stays at the "farm." Went to check things out and looked at all the fluids, blew the radiator screen, etc. Cranked up, dismounted and started to put the side panels back on while it warmed. One of the bolts that fastens the panel surrounding the engine was really dry and difficult to screw in. Not having an oil dispenser handy I went to the engine oil dipstick and removed pulled it out. Planning to allow a drip or two to flow onto the dry bolt. The engine is idling. When I removed the dipstick I got "spits" of oil popping out of the dipstick hole.
The dipstick is simply a hole in the engine. There is no tube allowing the dipstick to be guided into position like an automobile.
Is the spitting normal? Caused by down stroke pressure or does it indicate an issue?
Any advice or information appreciated.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
My L185DT does the same and I have no problems with it. I have to think it's just a hole through the block with not much as far as shielding goes.

In fact, if I angle the dipstick back in just the wrong way, I can feel it getting hit by the crank!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Crankshaft is spinning and rods are thrashing and oil is churning like a washing machine.... so why, exactly, are you puzzled over this...? :D

(And where is that tongue-in-cheek emoticon?) ;)

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Try that with your lawnmower sometime. You'll get a face full...

FloridaAl

Premium Member

Equipment
L2500DT, King Kutter 5' bush hog, Howse 4' disc, back blade, plow, boom pole.
May 15, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks to all.
Wanted a little reassurance all was OK. I got it. :rolleyes: