Diesel in Oil

clong

Equipment
L2501 with loader and back hoe
Aug 1, 2020
Benton Arkansas
Have a problem with Diesel getting into the oil. Engine runs fine but in about 10 hours the oil will be a half quart fuller than when I started. Any advice, other then the obvious of "Fix it, quick".

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Have a problem with Diesel getting into the oil. Engine runs fine but in about 10 hours the oil will be a half quart fuller than when I started. Any advice, other then the obvious of "Fix it, quick".

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Why do you think it is diesel rather than hydraulic oil?

clong

Equipment
Aug 1, 2020
Benton Arkansas
Smells like diesel and if you stick a match to it, it will burn.

Also, hydraulic oil level is staying steady.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
The diaphragm in the low pressure fuel pump before the injection pump.

How many hours are on your machine? I'm one of those people that like to have spare parts for my stuff so I'm not waiting around for the part to come in.. and also give me the opportunity to look for it and not pay dealer prices.. if they are extravagant

Definitely do not want to run the engine with fuel in your oil.. will thin the oil out and overheat the bearings and make bad things happen like scoring the cylinder walls.. in turn will drastically shorten the engines life

Let the oil drain for a few hours and if possible flush the old oil out of the valve rocker area

Last edited:

clong

Equipment
Aug 1, 2020
Benton Arkansas
Removed oil filter and replaced with new. Removed oil drain plugs and allowed to drain for a week while waiting on new fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump and oil drain plugs. Filled crankcase with oil. Started engine and ran for a minute or so. Carefully filled engine to full mark on dipstick. Have worked tractor a hour or two per day for the past week and oil level has remained at the full mark. I think the problem has been solved.

As a side note, the old fuel pump would not pump any fuel when removed from engine and the plunger pumped by hand.

Thanks to all for advice.

Reactions: 1 user