diesel gelled !

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
my b6000 starts all the time, never had a problem. We had some really cold temps over the past week, -10 one night, mostly single digits the others, went to start the old girl to put her to work tonight and she wouldnt start. It turns over, but wont start. If this is gelled fuel, how do i go about a remedy for this. My bota wont be the same if i have to plow the driveway with a truck.....thanks

KennyV

Equipment
L4200GST (cab)
when it gets THAT cold you will most likely have to add a little heat to the engine...
Start by taking the air filter off and run a hair drier into it as you crank it over... hot air into the intake will go a long way to heating the fuel charge in the combustion chamber... If it still shows no sign of starting ... then suspect the fuel ... :)KennyV

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
It has been cold it CT for sure. My buddy next door to you in shelton had his Deere gel up also. He made a trip to martinkas for a new filter, and ran some Power service Diesel 911 to prime the filter housing and put some in the tank also. Fired up and has been running good since.
I use either FPFF fuel additive, or Powerservice white bottle year round, for the added lubricity. They are both anti-gel's also, so its an added benefit in the winter. So far so good with my machine this year, starting up unassisted and no fuel gelling problems.

L35

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
how come no one said: "hey iddiot, did you check to make sure there was diesel in the tank!" Well i did check it, thats the first thing i checked, i guess i cant even do that right. Filled the tank, cranked it for a few minutes, and there we go. Now, on to order a new starter........(yes, because i cranked and cranked and cranked)

Wall

Equipment
B1700
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
L35. You mentioned a buddy of yours primed the filter housing with Diesel 911. Can you describe the process of priming? I might have a problem with gelled diesel in my tractor as well, and would appreciate a little guidance in this area of priming the filter housing.

Thanks.

cappys tractor

Equipment
B6000 and Husqvarna mower (hey, it's orange too!)
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
L35. You mentioned a buddy of yours primed the filter housing with Diesel 911. Can you describe the process of priming? I might have a problem with gelled diesel in my tractor as well, and would appreciate a little guidance in this area of priming the filter housing.

Thanks.
If you haven't opened up anything, or cracked bleeders:.....
You want the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) solution? Put a blanket over the hood. put an electric heater under it. in a couple hours it will start. A heat lamp will work to warm it up. You only have to get the fuel tank and the lines over freezing.

The trick next time... put a little Kerosene into the diesel ( at a 4 to 1 ratio.) It acts as a pour depressant. Next year when you buy diesel, put some kero in it. It will eliminate this issue.

Last edited:

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
After reading all these post L35 is right on. I have had Diesel tractors now for over 50 years. Put the Power Service in year around and a little extra in winter.

Never put Kerosene in "today's" Diesel fuel. If you put Power Service in like you should you will not need 911 Diesel.

Back on Jan 25 we were -35 here in Vermont and my tractor ran great.!!!!!!!

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont

Attachments

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
After reading all these post L35 is right on. I have had Diesel tractors now for over 50 years. Put the Power Service in year around and a little extra in winter.

Never put Kerosene in "today's" Diesel fuel. If you put Power Service in like you should you will not need 911 Diesel.

Back on Jan 25 we were -35 here in Vermont and my tractor ran great.!!!!!!!

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont
#1 Diesel is essentially kerosene.

cmoan

Equipment
BX25
Feb 28, 2011
Coventry,RI
my b6000 starts all the time, never had a problem. We had some really cold temps over the past week, -10 one night, mostly single digits the others, went to start the old girl to put her to work tonight and she wouldnt start. It turns over, but wont start. If this is gelled fuel, how do i go about a remedy for this. My bota wont be the same if i have to plow the driveway with a truck.....thanks
I use halogen work lights. Stickem under tractor,plugem in,drink 1 cup of coffee,then start tractor. Good luck.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I take the easy way out on cold mornings, plowing snow-- I use my gas tractor.

The WD always starts, plus the Snap Coupler blade won't fit on the Kubota.

Robert

Wall

Equipment
B1700
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
If you haven't opened up anything, or cracked bleeders:.....
You want the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) solution? Put a blanket over the hood. put an electric heater under it. in a couple hours it will start. A heat lamp will work to warm it up. You only have to get the fuel tank and the lines over freezing.

The trick next time... put a little Kerosene into the diesel ( at a 4 to 1 ratio.) It acts as a pour depressant. Next year when you buy diesel, put some kero in it. It will eliminate this issue.
Thanks for the advice....I'm hoping to work on the tractor tomorrow.

Wall

Equipment
B1700
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Thanks everyone for the advice you've given about getting my diesel Kubota started in the cold. I'm hoping to get it running tomorrow....in the meantime I'm hoping for no snow to fall.