Diesel fuel additive

fend4yourself

Equipment
l2850GST
Feb 13, 2010
Vestal,NY
I just bought my first Kubota, a 1990 L2850 GST and I am being told by a friend that I should add a diesel fuel treatment to my fuel. His mechanic recommends FPPF Fuel Power. I have never heard of this and dont want to add anything that may be harmful in some way. Does anyone have any advice? Also, my manual recommends no 2 diesel fuel only. What is the difference between no 1 and no 2?

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I just bought my first Kubota, a 1990 L2850 GST and I am being told by a friend that I should add a diesel fuel treatment to my fuel. His mechanic recommends FPPF Fuel Power. I have never heard of this and dont want to add anything that may be harmful in some way. Does anyone have any advice? Also, my manual recommends no 2 diesel fuel only. What is the difference between no 1 and no 2?
I'm gonna skip the additives part. There is a pretty good article by, of all people, Exxon. No1 diesel is light, very light and compared to basically jet fuel and only to be used in extemely cold climates of extended duration. Even then due to its lake of lubrication it is recommended to only cut an amount of No1 into a tank of No2. As Eric MacCarthy posted earlier, and also noted in the link I will provide, the manufacturers of the fuel will begin destributing treated fuel in certain regions.

Some of our members live in very harsh invironments and there for require extra messures to reduce the gelling from the "wax" in the fuel.

Running pure No1 will have adverse effects to the mechanical parts of an engine that need the lubricating properties of the No2.

Also diesel No1 provites only about 95% of the power of diesel No2.

Ok, you suffered long enough from my post, here is the Exxon link.

It's rather long, but very informative article. Read through it, it's worth your time.

Scott

Last edited: