Did I break my B7100 hst

boxsters

Equipment
Kubota B7100hst w/ loader , jd 757 zero turn
Apr 15, 2013
Redmond WA.
I was digging with the front loader, with the bucket partially filled and using the weight to get more traction on the front and things snapped. The tractor went to dealer and they split it and found broken main shaft and stripped spline and center out of clutch disk. Not good, waiting for bill. Was this abuse for 2000hr tractor or bad luck.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
To clarify, you had the bucket partially filled to give more weight/traction while pulling something? If that is the case, I don't see how that would directly in itself affect the main shaft in the drivetrain. Even if, with the added traction, you were abusing the tractor trying to pull something, the cause and effect through the drivetrain would have created problems before it reached the back of the engine. It sounds like, to me, that there were problems with the mainshaft/clutch already, and this was the straw that broke the camels back. It may be expensive, but I believe that it was inevitable.
In the future, though, loading the front like that could cause you problems with the front axle. These tractors are strong, but not indestructible. Nothing is.
2000 hrs on a B7100 really isn't much- there are many out there with much more than that- but that depends heavily on its life and how it was treated for those 2000 hrs.

boxsters

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
Redmond WA.
To clarify, you had the bucket partially filled to give more weight/traction while pulling something? If that is the case, I don't see how that would directly in itself affect the main shaft in the drivetrain. Even if, with the added traction, you were abusing the tractor trying to pull something, the cause and effect through the drivetrain would have created problems before it reached the back of the engine. It sounds like, to me, that there were problems with the mainshaft/clutch already, and this was the straw that broke the camels back. It may be expensive, but I believe that it was inevitable.
In the future, though, loading the front like that could cause you problems with the front axle. These tractors are strong, but not indestructible. Nothing is.
2000 hrs on a B7100 really isn't much- there are many out there with much more than that- but that depends heavily on its life and how it was treated for those 2000 hrs.
Thank you for your advise, I was driving forwared trying to get more dirt in the bucket, thanks again.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have done LOTS of loader digging with my old L185 and new L3200. My cardinal rule was never to push in anything but first gear (1 mph max). I always worried that anything faster could snap something! Depending on your driving and traction conditions, the HST's low range could get you going fast enough to snap something if you come to a direct halt. I always figured it would be the loader frame or mounting points, however.
I suppose if you were going from full reverse to full ahead repeatedly you could be the problem. It can be a heck of a jerk. If you don't, then call it bad luck.

boxsters

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
Redmond WA.
I have done LOTS of loader digging with my old L185 and new L3200. My cardinal rule was never to push in anything but first gear (1 mph max). I always worried that anything faster could snap something! Depending on your driving and traction conditions, the HST's low range could get you going fast enough to snap something if you come to a direct halt. I always figured it would be the loader frame or mounting points, however.
I suppose if you were going from full reverse to full ahead repeatedly you could be the problem. It can be a heck of a jerk. If you don't, then call it bad luck.
Just talk to the dealer, with pickup and deliver nearly 3000. I bought it two months ago and adding the three grand I could have bought a much new tractor. live and learn

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Oh wow, sorry to hear that. I still don't see how using the loader caused that- it had to be wear and tear.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
A B7100 HS? And 3,000 more would have gotten you a new one? What did you pay for your tractor???

boxsters

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
Redmond WA.
A B7100 HS? And 3,000 more would have gotten you a new one? What did you pay for your tractor???
Well I have 9500 into it now and little bit wiser. Buying from a local dealer I thought they would not have something that was on the verge of failure. Buying form a private party mit be better.
When I first got it home I found the the clutch adustment bolt was way out adjustment no end play and it turned over when starting slowly even after a new starter. maybe the shaft was binding at the clutch plate. When I started it today it turns over much faster, just a thought.

Last edited: