Did I Break 4WD on my BX?

WorkingItHard

Equipment
Kubota BX23s and BX2360
Sep 10, 2022
Ohio
I have the same problem with my BX23s, I found that the inside end of the pivot axle has too much play, allowing it to move up and down inside the bracket. I verified this by placing a metal shim in the gap which stopped the bumping/popping noise. I don't know whether the axle or the bracket is worn.

Attachments

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I had some time off this week and was able to look at this a little more.

With the front wheels off the ground, and the 4wd lever engaged, the front wheels spin independently of each other - not spinning in opposite directions.

I removed the cover from the driveshaft and could see no broken parts.

I took the tractor out of 4wd and was able to spin the shaft by hand. I re-engaged the 4wd lever and was not able to turn the shaft. I spun the tire’s again, with 4wd engaged and the cover off of the shaft and didn’t see the shaft turn. If there is a problem, I’m thinking it’s in the front axle. Tractor still drives fine in 2wd.

If it is a stripped gear in the housing, how much could I be looking at? I’m assuming the entire axle is going to need to be pulled apart? Also, I have some mechanical ability - could this be a diy repair or better off to have the dealer look at it?

Thanks for the continued help!

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
For a starting point .... I had a leak in my front right axel. Just to get that fixed was about $1,000.00. o_O. Thought about trying to fix it myself but looked like a pretty painful process.

I would think that operating it in 2WD would be fine until you can afford to fix it but I would listen to those above if they disagree. They know way more then I do but I can't see how you can make it worse.

Last edited: