Dealer told me don't load the tires...

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Bx25d is going in next week to the dealer to get a snowblower and curtis cab. Figured I would get them to load the tires for me and save me the trouble of doing it myself. I have a ford tractor/blower combo and loaded the tires with WW fluid many years ago. The extra weight helped lots with traction.

But when i asked the kubota dealer to do it they said no - it's a bad idea. Tubless tires, rusting out the rims and so forth.

They told me to get a balist box or rear weights.

I am getting a heavy hitch for the three point. And it will have a bar for weights. I thought if after loading the tires if I needed more weight I would add a few 42 pounders on the back.

But do you guys agree with the dealer? don't load the tires?

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I would for sure load the tires. I would use rim gaurd as it weighs alot more per gallon than dang near anything else you would put in your tires. Have the valve stems switched to metal ones, and properly filled with rim gaurd they will weigh somewhere around 150-200 lbs each. It won't rust and won't freeze till around -30. I'm surprised they weren't filled from the start. And you know that any reputable tire shop can fill your tires also, doesn't have to be your dealer.
You will be amazed the difference it will make.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And if the dealer will not fill them you can do it easy, I use anti freeze mixed 50/50, aint froze yet, or windshield washer fluid both go about 8 pounds a gallon, and are a bunch cheaper than beet juice, which is like said a lot heaver. And environmentally friendly. But YES load the tired I did mine on the BX and it does make a world of difference,, Just MHO you understand

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Sounds like the dealer is trying to sell you on the products and services he offers. The rust argument is out. By the time any significant rust occurs, the tractor is old, and likely out of its life span, anyway, even using CaCl as the ballast material...:D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My dealer loaded the fronts and backs of mine. He told me they do it for every tractor that comes in. Washed, PDI'd, load the tires. Matter of factly.
While I am now on my first Kubota, my dad had them for close to forty years, always had them loaded.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
My dealer loaded the fronts and backs of mine. He told me they do it for every tractor that comes in. Washed, PDI'd, load the tires. Matter of factly.
While I am now on my first Kubota, my dad had them for close to forty years, always had them loaded.
spirprised if he did the front. That typically is considered a BAD THING. Front bearings don't like it. Some have said it even voids warranty.

Sure he put it in the fronts too?

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Bx25d is going in next week to the dealer to get a snowblower and curtis cab. Figured I would get them to load the tires for me and save me the trouble of doing it myself. I have a ford tractor/blower combo and loaded the tires with WW fluid many years ago. The extra weight helped lots with traction.

But do you guys agree with the dealer? don't load the tires?
I was told to wait 6 months and then load them, my dealer feels they can get more fluid in them then and also their experience was fewer leaks and bead issues. I figure I will give it to the 50 hour mark, if the engine is broken in my tires should be too :)

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I'm already at the 50 hour mark.....

Thanks guys. I have always had my snowblower/tractor setup with loaded tires. Couldnt understand why the dealer didnt want to do it. Figured one less thing for me to do, but oh well. Easy enough to do.

When I get the unit back in a week or so I will load the back tires and be done with it. After that if I want a little more weight I will have the heavy hitch with the bar on it so I can easily add 2-4 weights on the back.

I read someplace that loaded tires aren't great for using the backhoe, but wasnt sure why.................

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
spirprised if he did the front. That typically is considered a BAD THING. Front bearings don't like it. Some have said it even voids warranty.

Sure he put it in the fronts too?
Yup, fronts done too. Weight is probably 40 pounds a tire, not much. Nothing compared to a fully over loaded (who me???) FEL.
I could see it being an issue with sudden starts and high speeds but that is a near impossibility with a little BX25D. On a full sized tractor, with large tires, I could see the weight having significance.
I think with filled tires, not only is more weight down low better for stability, makes the tire deform less driving over say a rock or stump, the tire being able to compress less due to the lower volume of air.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I've never heard of anyone here using RV antifreeze. That stuff is environmentally friendly and on sale you can get it for under $3 a gal.

On that note, I only use mine for grass & snowblower. I have turf tires unloaded and have never had a issue. Not sure why everyone says you need to load tires just for that kind of work. I get really good traction with mine in both instance and I have plenty of ups & downs to deal with.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
If you don't need it, you don't need it; if you do, you do. But if you carry heavy loads on the loader, need to lift them high, particularly on uneven ground, you'll want all the weight down low you can get. Also if you need all the traction you can get. For instance driving the loader bucket (or blade) into material. Or to pull highly resistive equipment like a multipoint subsoiler or multi-bottom turning plow. Or running a plow in deep wet accumulation. My old Ferguson had massive iron weights filling the wheel area in the ~5' tall tires. My current admittedly smaller B2150 with unloaded tires felt like riding a bicycle in comparison.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I ran into an old friend of mine who sells and fills tires and he told me that for my B6200 to just get weight where ever you need it. Front, back, or both ends if need be. As he explained - it can always be added onto, or removed as needed. Made sense to me - YMMV.

pacer

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 3, 2015
Greenwood La USA
I'm a collector of old (40-50 yrs old) Wheel Horse garden tractors and filling tires on them was/is popular. I have had to break down several of the tires and believe me its a MESS, the rims are for all practical purposes no good. Obviously I have no idea as to what they were originally filled with, but the previous comment about damage at some point in the distant future is a very real possibility.

One way to get around that - that I havent seen mentioned - is to use inner tubes. I had an inner tube filled rear set on one of my 1975 model horses and the rims were in very good condition.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
You know after watching Vic's video on ballast I am going to put rim guard in half way up as well as get spacers for the rears eventually.