Dealer Distance/Issues

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
I think I have decided on the tractor I want, B2601. My issue right now is getting a response from dealers. I am aware of the lack of inventory, and I am ok with waiting. The dealer closest to me(30min) wont give me pricing. The next closest(50min) is slow to respond. The furthest is the best at responding but 85min away not pulling a trailer. I'm in Southern WI, so there is enough market for a dealer every 60-90mins.

Additionally, the closest one has horrible reviews. They are the old fashion type of place where the guy behind the desk responded as if you are trespassing and interruption his lunch. Full disclosure, I hate dealerships, I hate the business model, I hate the GOB atmosphere. I really don't mind the rude attitude, what I hate is the challenge to get info. I politely ask questions, if they are stupid questions you can say so, just give me the correct answer.

Is an an extra 30-45min drive worth it for an OK dealer? Ill likely order my parts online.

To make it more challenging, the Deere dealer 15min away has been very helpful. Right now I may go Deere because I cant get a price on a Kubota.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Under NO circumstances should you buy from a dealer that is not responsive and helpful prior to sale. Things will only worsen after sale.

If I were you, I would deal with the JD dealer.

SDT

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Dealer is a big factor in deciding what to buy. As SDT stated, if they aren't responsive before the sale, I'm not sure they will be any better after the sale.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
More then likely once you buy the tractor it will not go back to the dealer. If the local guy will not help you out and you want the Kubota I would have no trouble traveling 90 min to a dealer. The local dealer is a lying bastard 8 miles away, Lutz. I drove from Tampa to Gainesville passing several dealers to buy my Kubota. Leesburg, Lecanto, and Ocala were not helpful and I did not want a Deere so 90 minutes later I was in Gainesville. The Hastings and Palatka dealers were not very helpful either.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
If you choose to stay with Kubota and the middle dealership has a good reputation but takes a bit of time to respond, I would consider them as well. When I purchased my LX2610 recently, I discovered that the store manager was also the sales guy, the guy loading purchased equipment onto customers vehicles, the guy answering the phones and the guy that delivers the tractors. Not saying that is the case with the middle dealership but its possible that they have multiple hats and are responding as quickly as they can. If you do go Deere, consider the 2025R. I nearly bought one but determined last second that the LX2610 was a better fit for my needs.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
More then likely once you buy the tractor it will not go back to the dealer.
This caught my eye as it is true for me. My Kubota tractors are going on 19 and 17 years old. I never needed to go back to the dealer for anything except parts (And not many).

If you need him, then a good dealer is certainly a great thing. But playing the odds, maybe delivered price for what you want might be more important.

Really do not know, but think if I were shopping today I would probably focus on delivered price mostly. Only due to my past experience with Kubota tractors.

Now if you think you will need the dealer to do routine maintenance and such, that is a different story...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you choose to stay with Kubota and the middle dealership has a good reputation but takes a bit of time to respond, I would consider them as well. When I purchased my LX2610 recently, I discovered that the store manager was also the sales guy, the guy loading purchased equipment onto customers vehicles, the guy answering the phones and the guy that delivers the tractors. Not saying that is the case with the middle dealership but its possible that they have multiple hats and are responding as quickly as they can. If you do go Deere, consider the 2025R. I nearly bought one but determined last second that the LX2610 was a better fit for my needs.
If he‘s wearing ALL those hats... WHO does the Warranty Work? THAT would be MY question.
I’d ask the dealer most-responsive if he will DELIVER the tractor. And if so, will he pick it up if it needs warranty-work. If those responses are good... That’s who i’d buy from.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If he‘s wearing ALL those hats... WHO does the Warranty Work? THAT would be MY question.
I’d ask the dealer most-responsive if he will DELIVER the tractor. And if so, will he pick it up if it needs warranty-work. If those responses are good... That’s who i’d buy from.
Valid point. Need to play the odds. For me worrying about warranty work would have been a moot point. BUT no way to predict the future with certainty. A sample size of two is not statically relevant, for sure.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I don't think I would go with a dealer who is rude or unhelpful. When I was shopping I talked to a few dealers before settling on anything, including a brand. I wasn't a big JD fan to begin with, but the JD dealer's attitude (like I was interrupting his day) confirmed that I wasn't going green. the Kubota guy was very helpful and informative, answered several questions for me over several visits, before I finally made the purchase.

Since then, he's also been very helpful in helping me make decisions about implements. I don't know that much about them and he helps me understand the differences and uses (for example, a couple years ago I was wondering about harrows, cultivators, and plows).

IMO a good dealer is worth whatever it takes.

As I said, I'm no JD fan but if that dealer is the one who has taken the time and been helpful, I'd say go with him.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I wouldn't go with a dealer who is clearly an idiot. But like others, I spend little time in the dealer, and in my experience any dealer will happily sell me parts and do maintenance, so if I don't like the dealer I buy from there's nothing stopping me getting work done elsewhere. So far as I can tell they make more on the maintenance and parts than they do on the initial sale, so there's no reason they'd turn you away if you didn't buy the tractor from them.

My concern with a dealer who is a bit dodgy is more about whether they'll deliver the tractor when they say, set it up properly, do the work that needs doing when it needs being done.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The dealer that I mostly deal with is 4 1/2 miles from my place. He will not deliver a newly purchased machine without charge nor will he pick up and deliver for warranty work, even first week, without charge.

Hauling is $110/hr from the time the driver picks up the order in the service manager's office until he places the keys on the manager's desk.

Next two closest dealers are stores owned by same dealership.

Next closest dealership with different owner also charges hauling for just about any reason albeit at a slightly lower rate.

Blame such behavior on profit centers.

SDT

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Dealer is a big factor in deciding what to buy. As SDT stated, if they aren't responsive before the sale, I'm not sure they will be any better after the sale.
There is. They are closer and so far more helpful. They are a good price on some implements away from getting me to buy a more costly, less capable tractor. Truth is, I don't really need the few extra capabilities of the B2601. a 2025r will do all I need it to.

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Good news. The sales guy for the middle distance dealer 50mins away is just out of the office this week. The person I did talk to was the service manager and seemed very helpful. Ill happily drive an extra 20 mins for better service.

Reactions: 3 users

Irrigation Guy

Equipment
B2601
Dec 19, 2020
North East
Not that it will help you with your particular situation, I will still share an anecdote. I bought my B2601 TLB for my cabin/camp property from the closest Kubota dealer which is 30-40 min away from cabin in December of 2018. I told the guy I just needed the paper work dated in 2018 but could take delivery early January, mind you tractor was in stock albeit not put together. It took them until late January to deliver it.

Fast forward to this past December when I wanted to add 3rd function valve and to buy grapple bucket. Dealer said 6 weeks out so I went down to the small town tractor dealer 10 min away who sells Branson tractors he set me up with both within 2 weeks for a better price. Wish I knew about him sooner might have bought a red tractor.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I support Henros view. Little need for the dealer with this forum and Messicks for parts and additional advice after purchase. I stated once before that in my opinion if you were farming a couple thousand acres with millions of dollars in equipment for a living the dealer relationship means a lot. Not so much in this case. I have a friend who operates half a dozen or more Kubotas in his business as a golf course landscaper. He takes his Kubota over 3 hours away to be fixed (rarely needed) by "The Mennonites". He would not consider paying Kubota dealer shop rates. 35 years he's been doing this. Excellent mechanics at a fraction of the price in his view. I know many "bleed orange" here and not to offend but if you look at the ratings some of these dealers have I would not be in a hurry to seek their "expertise". I would rather ask yinz guys. Yinz is a colloquialism for you popular in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Some Pittsburghers are thus Yinzers.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I drive past two dealers to get to the one I chose to buy from. The closest dealer to me actually sold me my NH tractor 25 years ago. They have grown big and are so impressed with themselves now that they no longer need to compete. I went with a family owned dealership and I am very glad I did.

All that aside, my NH was sold with just over 4000 hours on it and nothing on it ever broke, so the dealer was moot. SFSG on my new Kubota (420hrs).

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have to believe that dealers are inundated with email and telephone calls for pricing, discounts and deals on tractors and equipment. Personally I believe that you are much better to make an appointment and meet face to face. Explain that you are local and that you want to see the dealership and understand what service and support they can provide. Tell them that you are looking to buy a machine, ask for their input even if you think you know what you want. They will understand that you are a serious buyer and in my belief you will get a much better quote and sales service. I'd certainly tell them that you have to get more than one price but be honest and explain that you would much rather buy it from them and deal local for support.

Relationships are a lot of work and take input and effort from both sides, in my experience people treat you much better face to face particularly when you are not just another email or phone call that usually doesn't work out for them.

I appreciate that the world is not perfect and there are bad dealers but in general I believe people do want to sell you a tractor and take care of your issues. I'm currently spending a lot of time trying to teach my 18 year old son how to manage disputes and expectations, communication in person often gives the opportunity how to make a problem a success and retain brand loyalty for ever.

Things go downhill far too fast these days, negativity and conflict escalate too quickly. We need to re-calibrate and face to face can often be different to email and phone calls.

Reactions: 5 users

Tim1983

Jan 3, 2021
Wisconsin
I have to believe that dealers are inundated with email and telephone calls for pricing, discounts and deals on tractors and equipment. Personally I believe that you are much better to make an appointment and meet face to face. Explain that you are local and that you want to see the dealership and understand what service and support they can provide. Tell them that you are looking to buy a machine, ask for their input even if you think you know what you want. They will understand that you are a serious buyer and in my belief you will get a much better quote and sales service. I'd certainly tell them that you have to get more than one price but be honest and explain that you would much rather buy it from them and deal local for support.

Relationships are a lot of work and take input and effort from both sides, in my experience people treat you much better face to face particularly when you are not just another email or phone call that usually doesn't work out for them.

I appreciate that the world is not perfect and there are bad dealers but in general I believe people do want to sell you a tractor and take care of your issues. I'm currently spending a lot of time trying to teach my 18 year old son how to manage disputes and expectations, communication in person often gives the opportunity how to make a problem a success and retain brand loyalty for ever.

Things go downhill far too fast these days, negativity and conflict escalate too quickly. We need to re-calibrate and face to face can often be different to email and phone calls.
I agree and will meet them in person before I buy. I was at the close dealer this weekend. Meeting them face to face did not help. I'm optimistic about the other. But at an hour away it will be a weekend trip. My hope was a brief email could expedite the in person conversation.

The world needs more de-escilation. This forum has been helpful for my expectations.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
Sounds like my dealership near Binghamton. Sales guy pretty much did everything.