Dash Cam's

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I may have posted this question before Im not sure. At any rate, I have seen so much stupid stuff on the roads as of late, it is time just to CYA as it were. I am by no means a puter geek dont have a smart phone and know nothing about dash cams. I know prices are all over and trying to read about them the articles are written for people that all ready know all about them.
So here is what I am thinking, plug and play forward and read facing cameras and I have to assume there is a micro card in the mix some place. So with those parameters in mind, somebody please talk me through this so I can make an informed purchase

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I bought and installed a Garmin DC Mini 2 which is a very small unit and hides behind your rear view mirror. Install the Garmin App and download the videos to your phone, I installed a 256 gig mini SD card. which keeps about 12 hours of recording before it begins to over-write.

There was a fairly long dash camera topic on here about a month ago that helped me with my buying decision. I ordered and returned a $50 unit with a tiny screen that was not satisfactory for my use.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Unfortunately they are a must have item in this age.

I have a cheapie ($35) that has its issues, but has decent video quality and does the job.

Biggest lessons I learned with the cheapie: I don't need a built-in screen for viewing, and be sure it doesn't use proprietary software for viewing/playback on your device of choice.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I 2nd the Garmin Mini - I have it plugged into my rear view mirror. Here’s an idea of the quality. 1080P @ 30fps.

I braked hard enough that it saved the video automatically.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
The blackvue cameras are one of, if not the best option available for dash cam. Expect to spend $4-900 depending on if you go with battery backup and other add-ons. They are spendy, but so is your deductable and increase to your premiums. Also well worth it to have video evidence for he said she said situations involving accidents or police.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I may have posted this question before Im not sure. At any rate, I have seen so much stupid stuff on the roads as of late, it is time just to CYA as it were. I am by no means a puter geek dont have a smart phone and know nothing about dash cams. I know prices are all over and trying to read about them the articles are written for people that all ready know all about them.
So here is what I am thinking, plug and play forward and read facing cameras and I have to assume there is a micro card in the mix some place. So with those parameters in mind, somebody please talk me through this so I can make an informed purchase
I too have been thinking the same thing. I am pretty sure if I were to do it, I would want front and back cameras.

Not sure it would be worth it to me if the minimum cost was $400 as Radas mentioned...all I would need is relatively low quality video...That is where my head is at the moment...

Look forward to reading the replies to your question, Skeets.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I too have been thinking the same thing. I am pretty sure if I were to do it, I would want front and back cameras.

Not sure it would be worth it to me if the minimum cost was $400 as Radas mentioned...all I would need is relatively low quality video...That is where my head is at the moment...

Look forward to reading the replies to your question, Skeets.
I bough a cheapie, and returned it before use.
Still thinkin bout it though!

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
You can add the rear view to the Garmin app. I bought this one because it’s so basic and simple. I do not have it wired to park mode where if you’re car is off and gets bumped it will record. I added the magnetic mount and located the best place on windshield. I also have an adapter for wife’s rear view so I can power the Mini when we make trips to Chicago.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so all you guys have smart phones, I do not and odds are I wont get one. I have enough trouble with this thing! So the garman is a plug and play with a chip, that I can put into my puter , is that correct? See guys I want this stupid simple like me.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Yep, micro SD card. I think it came with one if I remember right.