Damaged hydraulic connector (B2650 3rd function)

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
Ok, quick story time first....with the winter storm looming, I knew it was time to bring in the firewood. We store our firewood under a pole barn about 100 ft from the house, so to make getting wood for the stove easier, I devised a system that involves using the tractor (that was kinda my only requirement). I took a pallet and built 3 sides on it, and so I'll put the pallet forks on, take the pallet/box to the wood pile and load it up, then I'll drop the pallet off in our garage which makes getting wood for the fire a lot easier and keeps the mess outside of the house itself (we used to load wood into the house through a window into a firewood holder next to the fireplace).

I had the grapple on at the time, so step 1 was to unconnect the hydraulic connectors. One came off somewhat easy (they're never completely easy...worst part of changing tools on the tractor, by far), but the 2nd one just would NOT come off. I finally got underneath, made super sure it was lined up, and used a flathead screwdriver (NOT TO PRY!) just to push the outer ring back, since I couldn't get a good grip on it. It kinda suddenly save, and out popped the connector. Yay!

Side note...after putting the wood into the box on the pallet forks, I discovered that the box blade on the back was NOT really sufficient to the task. I USUALLY have the backhoe back there. I could feel the tractor tilting and noticed a back wheel idly spinning. I reoriented to more level ground, used 4 wd and diff lock, and was able to get the task done...but lesson learned.

Ok, thanks for sticking with me, here's the actual problem:

After I was done, I noticed drops on the garage floor, and they formed a trail where the tractor had been. I couldn't figure where that was coming from, so I did some searching...and found it was coming from the hydraulic connector. Not a stream, but just a steady drip. I followed the trail back to where the tractor had been parked, so ya, that had been leaking since the moment it was disconnected. Looking at the connector (bottom middle of pic), it did not look right. Its supposed to be a flat face connector, but it's missing part of its face! I looked all over where the drips had started and could not find any piece of metal missing. Did something come loose? Is that connector a goner?

PXL_20221215_023606282.jpg

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Any recommendations for vendor? Google found me summit hydraulics.

Reactions: 1 user

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
I've identified it as a 3/8" connector. However, the website has NPT threaded or SAE threaded. I'd rather not take the connector off until I'm ready to do the replacement, just to prevent garbage from getting into the hydraulics. Is there some way to identify it?

Thanks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've identified it as a 3/8" connector. However, the website has NPT threaded or SAE threaded. I'd rather not take the connector off until I'm ready to do the replacement, just to prevent garbage from getting into the hydraulics. Is there some way to identify it?

Thanks.
Look. If SAE port the adapter will be fully seated - NPT willl have exposed male thread with sealant. You shoukd also ID the size of the thread.

Dan

Last edited:

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
If you can get the part number off the connector you can find the correct thread size. i would be willing to bet its a 1/4 inch npt thread. I know the 4 loader connections on the b2650 are 1/4 inch npt.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
LX series Kubota 3rd function line ends at the bucket are 3/8" NPT If that helps you...
as someone else stated you can google the part number on your existing fitting and that also will tell you the size.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Look. If SAE port the adapter will be fully seated - NPT willl have exposed male thread with sealant. You shoukd also ID the size of the thread.

Dan
Thanks, I had no idea. I DEFINITELY see threads, and the thread for the male connector has tape on it (can't see any sealant on the exposed threads for the female). The measurement of the exposed threads shows about 0.67" across.

Which makes it this one!

Last edited:

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
LX series Kubota 3rd function line ends at the bucket are 3/8" NPT If that helps you...
as someone else stated you can google the part number on your existing fitting and that also will tell you the size.
I didn't see a part number, but it may just be difficult to find.

I measured the outside of the male connector and it was 0.78" across, which summit hydraulics guide shows is a 3/8". So yes, 3/8" NPT. thanks!

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
I didn't see a part number, but it may just be difficult to find.

I measured the outside of the male connector and it was 0.78" across, which summit hydraulics guide shows is a 3/8". So yes, 3/8" NPT. thanks!
the part number is on the sliding part you use to disconnect the connector you can see the last 3 numbers in your picture up above.
I just looked at the messicks parts diagram and it is a 3/8 npt thread so I was wrong.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
the part number is on the sliding part you use to disconnect the connector you can see the last 3 numbers in your picture up above.
I just looked at the messicks parts diagram and it is a 3/8 npt thread so I was wrong.
Thanks, I see it now! I probably would never have found it somehow.

SUMMIT FF38F-06N 2719

Heh...I guess summit is definitely the place to get a replacement then.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ok, quick story time first....with the winter storm looming, I knew it was time to bring in the firewood. We store our firewood under a pole barn about 100 ft from the house, so to make getting wood for the stove easier, I devised a system that involves using the tractor (that was kinda my only requirement). I took a pallet and built 3 sides on it, and so I'll put the pallet forks on, take the pallet/box to the wood pile and load it up, then I'll drop the pallet off in our garage which makes getting wood for the fire a lot easier and keeps the mess outside of the house itself (we used to load wood into the house through a window into a firewood holder next to the fireplace).

I had the grapple on at the time, so step 1 was to unconnect the hydraulic connectors. One came off somewhat easy (they're never completely easy...worst part of changing tools on the tractor, by far), but the 2nd one just would NOT come off. I finally got underneath, made super sure it was lined up, and used a flathead screwdriver (NOT TO PRY!) just to push the outer ring back, since I couldn't get a good grip on it. It kinda suddenly save, and out popped the connector. Yay!

Side note...after putting the wood into the box on the pallet forks, I discovered that the box blade on the back was NOT really sufficient to the task. I USUALLY have the backhoe back there. I could feel the tractor tilting and noticed a back wheel idly spinning. I reoriented to more level ground, used 4 wd and diff lock, and was able to get the task done...but lesson learned.

Ok, thanks for sticking with me, here's the actual problem:

After I was done, I noticed drops on the garage floor, and they formed a trail where the tractor had been. I couldn't figure where that was coming from, so I did some searching...and found it was coming from the hydraulic connector. Not a stream, but just a steady drip. I followed the trail back to where the tractor had been parked, so ya, that had been leaking since the moment it was disconnected. Looking at the connector (bottom middle of pic), it did not look right. Its supposed to be a flat face connector, but it's missing part of its face! I looked all over where the drips had started and could not find any piece of metal missing. Did something come loose? Is that connector a goner?

View attachment 92216
An easily modified pair of vise grip type welders pliers works great for pulling, and holding the coupler sliding ring open.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Ordered!

While all the help is here....so, remove the old fitting with 2 wrenches, clean off the end, add teflon tape (wrapping the CORRECT way), keeping itseveral threads clear of the end, and then tighten the new fitting until....until it stops? Does that sound like a good plan?

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Thanks, I see it now! I probably would never have found it somehow.

SUMMIT FF38F-06N 2719

Heh...I guess summit is definitely the place to get a replacement then.
That definately confirms its 3/8 npt

a little cool thing about decoding most if not all hydraulic connector part numbers is they tell you the type, size, and if it is the male or female connector. For example on your part number the FF38F is Flat Face 3/8 thread Female connector.

on install if you use thread tape make sure it doesnt get into the system or use a thread sealant designed for hydraulics. for torque get it pretty tight then check for leaks and be very carefull.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That definately confirms its 3/8 npt

a little cool thing about decoding most if not all hydraulic connector part numbers is they tell you the type, size, and if it is the male or female connector. For example on your part number the FF38F is Flat Face 3/8 thread Female connector.

on install if you use thread tape make sure it doesnt get into the system or use a thread sealant designed for hydraulics. for torque get it pretty tight then check for leaks and be very carefull.
Most will recommend: NO THREAD TAPE use!

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Most will recommend: NO THREAD TAPE use!
I was basing my assumption off of this video, where he says definitely no tape if the fitting is flared or has a rubber o-ring, but otherwise yes if it's flat.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was basing my assumption off of this video, where he says definitely no tape if the fitting is flared or has a rubber o-ring, but otherwise yes if it's flat.

Could be, but I have always been told that thread tape is a No-No for all hydraulic fittings.

Last edited:

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Could be, but I have heard that thread tape is a No-No for all hydraulic fittings.
You are correct you should not use thread tape on hydraulics but I was not going to make that argument. that is why I said to be carfull with it. if it was my equiptment I would choose a thread sealant made for hydraulics.