D950 hard to turn over.

wppoppadon1

Equipment
D950
Sep 9, 2011
Wills Point, Texas
I have a Jacobsen Mower with a D950 engine in it. It is hard to turn over trying to start. It acts like a low battery, but battery is good. Cleaned all cables still the same. I have another just like it so I switched out the starter motors, still the same thing. The battery and starter from this one starts the other just fine. Its almost like it has to much compression. I pulled the glow plugs to release the compression and with them out its still the same. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:confused:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I have a Jacobsen Mower with a D950 engine in it. It is hard to turn over trying to start. It acts like a low battery, but battery is good. Cleaned all cables still the same. I have another just like it so I switched out the starter motors, still the same thing. The battery and starter from this one starts the other just fine. Its almost like it has to much compression. I pulled the glow plugs to release the compression and with them out its still the same. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:confused:
You have some other load on the engine. Will it run? If so does it have any power? Is it possible to disconnect the engine from the rest of the mower, remove drive shaft or something. Does it have an engine mounted hydraulic pump. You need to isolate the engine so you can be sure that is where the problem is, or not.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, none of my ideas will be welcome.
The first thing I'd do is disconnect the output shaft, fanbelt, clutch or whatever to isolate the trouble to either the engine or driven parts. That way at least you know if it is internal to the engine. Maybe you will luck out and it is a stove-up water-pump or alternator.

wppoppadon1

Equipment
D950
Sep 9, 2011
Wills Point, Texas
Thanks, for the suggestions. I've already removed the battery cables and replaced the ends and cleaned where the ground goes to the frame. I will try isolating the engine and see what happens. It will be a couple of days but I will repost when I get it done, Thanks again.