D905/ generator safety shutdown questions

jem041279

Equipment
2011 L 3940 w/ FEL, 6ft shredder
Apr 20, 2011
abbeville, louisiana
I currently have a light plant that i use as a generator and would like it to have safety shutdown devices for both low oil and high coolant temp working. It has the fuel solenoid and both sensors but i can't seem to figure out how to wire them where they will work due to the previous owner (bought in auction) cutting wire harness. I wired up the solenoid and alternator and they work fine but i can't seem to figure out where the sensors tie in, i was gonna just buy Murphy switch gauges but the next issue is i cant figure out what are the pipe threads on either sensor, i think the oil sensor is 10m but dont know the temp. any one know the answer to this delima? the engine is a D905 BG-E

Attachments

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Well I can tell you oil sender threads are almost certainly 1/8" british standard pipe thread. 1/8" pipe thread is close to 10mm. I'm not as sure about the coolant sender but it's likely BSPT too. Here's a chart. Be warned that US NPT fittings won't work, the thread profiles are different. It may thread but it will never seal properly.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If you poke around enough you should be able to find a wiring diagram and / or Owner's and / or shop manual that will address sensor locations.

All else fails go with the Murphy SwitchGauges and you won't go wrong.

Per prior poster, be cautious of threads on machine: highly likely they are "metric", probably British standard. Use brass adapters if you can find them.

jem041279

Equipment
Apr 20, 2011
abbeville, louisiana
Update, murphy gauges are a no got because they only come in 14 mm or 1/2 NPT on the temp sensor and crossing over would make temp probe stick out of the flow of the radiator fluid, still trying to get the type of thread on that anyway though. I think the oil is a 1/8 bspt though.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I looked at the Murphy's website and they offer a pressure gauge in 1/8 NPT. They must offer a 1/8" BSPT. Call and ask them. If not Summit Racing sells an adapter. Where is the coolant temp sender port and what size does it appear to be?

I managed to make an adapter for mine to make it work but I drilled my port so it's probably not in the same location. Post 42 of this thread.

jem041279

Equipment
Apr 20, 2011
abbeville, louisiana
Yea I ordered one of thoses metric adapter kits on eBay and I know for sure the 1/8 bpt will work and I am hoping that one of other adapters will be the same as my temp sensor. My temp sensor is located on the thermostat housing so it should not be a real big deal to locate a crossover if I can ever find the time to go find one.

Thanks for help.