Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Bump
The 722 seams more avaliable than the 950, but I'm ignorant,and power hungry

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I don't know the answer to that, but I'm sure somebody here does. Sounds like maybe a Wolfman question to me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Bump
The 722 seams more avaliable than the 950, but I'm ignorant,and power hungry
D950 is more powerful than the D722. The D950 is 930ish cc where the D722 is only 720ish cc. The D722 is part of the Supermini series engine which is physically smaller than the D950. also the D950 can be turned up more than the D722, Thus why last I heard it is the engine of choice for a Kubota Garden Tractor pulling rig.

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I don't know but have read of some engine swaps in this family of engines. I have no need of a new engine (yet) though I am very lustful of more power, so I've paid a bit of attention to the general comments. I believe that you need to stay in the 9xx family to be able to do a "plug-and-play".

Also, I would be very surprised if the 722 would even mate to your tranny.

Did you break yours, or are you really just wanting to hot-rod your B6100? If you're looking for more power, are you considering all the factors that must be combined to effect a pleasing result -- factors such as weight; gearing; traction?

Your B will do astonishing things for it's size and power, but it won't do everything. Nevertheless, there are things you can to to increase it's ability without having to junk the engine. Just sayin'.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I have only had my tractor a few weeks,have yet to discover what it can do,and like most i lust power.honestly,the tractor is starting better and running stronger than three weeks ago,at first it took several attempts to start,and it was a fog. of grey smoke on start up that took 4 or 5 minutes to clear up.
Now one 30 second glow ans she's running,only smokes a few seconds.I think it had a tank of junk fuel,I've added fresh fuel and ran a strong dose of Star tron through it.
So what would you guys do to optimize its potential?Weights and chains for the winter?

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Weight and chains will definetly help.

D722 engines arent that common around here, would be nice upgrade for my L1501.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I am still curious if this engine will mate up to my b6100
Seem to keep coming across them,much more common in my corner of the world than a d850, or d950. Also a jump from 14 to 18 hp seems like a significant but reasonable improvement
Hope to hear from those in the know

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I''ve still got tons to learn but from what I gather so far you can only "easily" use something in the 3cyl 50 series.

Anything else will take $$$ to fabricate your way around the mix matching. For example you'll need a new Injection pump on the D722 cause most of them are from Refer's. Their IP is not set up to attach the typical tractor Hydraulic pump. You'll need an IP from a tractor w/d722 or find a suitable belt driven pump from an industrial application or a fork lift. (which requires fabrication of brackets, figuring how to stuff this with in a tractors body work etc.)

That my guess is only a small issue compared to many others you'll run into. BUT.... go for it...AND POST YOUR BUILD THREAD here. That way your journey will be a learning lesson for all of us at the same time.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
D722 common in grasshopper mowers. What i wouldnt do to shoehorn one ino my L1501.
Around here they are few and far between. If any-they are pricey.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
They ones I am seeing are from various makes of front mount mowers that have other issues,the latest a Kubota gf 1800, complete except no cutting deck.
None are exactly cheap,most between $1200 to $1500 asking prices.the only d950 I have came across is a four hour drive,one way,un known application,missing starter, asking $2000. I will not be doing that!

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
You can get a D950 with warranty (6month) for 2 grand just got to be patient. They show up on Ebay. You can get a complete rebuild warrantied engine for not much more.
http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines/engine_details.cfm?id=52106 See if they take your 650 as core though. or buy a dead 950 to send them then sell your running 650.

or get a rebuild kit for about $750, rebuild it yourself . End up with new engine and then after she's broke in and you still want a little more punch, add an pyrometer then turn up the IP a bit, maybe add a turbo. Just keep close eye on Tranny, axles and hydraulic pump. Increase HP and Torque on those are going to put them closer to their critical max.

Since they are the same block you might can rebuild it to spec. of a D950 though I suspect you'ld have to swap the head out.

Will take less time and money to do any of the above than it will to swap to something else that will take fabrication.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
You can get a D950 with warranty (6month) for 2 grand just got to be patient. They show up on Ebay. You can get a complete rebuild warrantied engine for not much more.
http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines/engine_details.cfm?id=52106 See if they take your 650 as core though. or buy a dead 950 to send them then sell your running 650.

or get a rebuild kit for about $750, rebuild it yourself . End up with new engine and then after she's broke in and you still want a little more punch, add an pyrometer then turn up the IP a bit, maybe add a turbo. Just keep close eye on Tranny, axles and hydraulic pump. Increase HP and Torque on those are going to put them closer to their critical max.

Since they are the same block you might can rebuild it to spec. of a D950 though I suspect you'ld have to swap the head out.

Will take less time and money to do any of the above than it will to swap to something else that will take fabrication.
Being Canadian,and due to the exchange rate,most of what may seem to be obvious is not a option for me
I am learning quickly,seems the challenge is finding a engine that will bolt up to my bell housing,not sure the d722 will
The hunt continues!

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Being Canadian,and due to the exchange rate,most of what may seem to be obvious is not a option for me
ok..... take most of that back since your a Canuck. :p:eek::D

Maybe rebuild her later with D950 parts crank and head? Believe the block is same.

I am learning quickly,seems the challenge is finding a engine that will bolt up to my bell housing,not sure the d722 will
The hunt continues!
Also look to see if your model tractor's implements uses spots on the D650 block for mounts. (FEL, Belly Mower etc.) Think most brackets attach on the Bell housing but if any of the attachments mate to the block too then you got to stick with the x50 block. Others here who have knowledge about hopefully will pipe in soon.

Last edited: