D1402 head replaced now oil leaks out exhaust

jovol

Equipment
L48 TLB, New holland LS180, Woodmizer LT50
Jan 2, 2020
Lake Lure
Injectors came back all good. I have not been running any load on it, just getting the head back on there and testing it out at idle. I’ve never heard of “diesel slobber”, but it could be that. When I pulled the injectors off they were pretty wet with diesel. Is this an artifact of running Diesel engines at cold low load? If so I will reassemble it and give the excavator a proper running with the muffler reinstalled.

the head is a brand new aftermarket head, new valves and springs pre installed. I ended up having to order 3 new heads as the first two were either the wrong thermostat housing size or wrong injector size. All 3 were of the same quality and likely and looked good.i only did a compression test on cylinder 3 and itwas well within spec.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Injectors came back all good. I have not been running any load on it, just getting the head back on there and testing it out at idle. I’ve never heard of “diesel slobber”, but it could be that. When I pulled the injectors off they were pretty wet with diesel. Is this an artifact of running Diesel engines at cold low load? If so I will reassemble it and give the excavator a proper running with the muffler reinstalled.

the head is a brand new aftermarket head, new valves and springs pre installed. I ended up having to order 3 new heads as the first two were either the wrong thermostat housing size or wrong injector size. All 3 were of the same quality and likely and looked good.i only did a compression test on cylinder 3 and itwas well within spec.
"Diesel slobbers" Is a condition caused by running long periods of time at idle or low load. Power in a diesel is directly controlled by fuel flow. Fix the rpm and add load and the fuel control adds fuel to increase the peak cycle temperature to hold the speed nearly constant (the small change in speed is called "speed droop"). More load = more fuel= higher peak temp.
Diesel slobber is a mixture of unburned fuel compounds, carbon, water , etc and is generally black and runny (like your picture). The way to get rid of it is to work the snot out of the engine, i.e. put it under high load. The coolant temperatures increase, the engine clearances are near design values, the combustion process is more complete, and the "slobbers" go away.

Hope this helps you.

Reactions: 1 users

jovol

Equipment
L48 TLB, New holland LS180, Woodmizer LT50
Jan 2, 2020
Lake Lure
Engine is running well, looks like the diesel slobber hypothesis was correct!
Random question: any idea why my excavator has a tire iron in the engine compartment? Has a special place and all.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
May be a tool to rotate something in the engine compartment manually?

See if you can see any sticker remnants near the storage position or look at illustrated parts list to see what that part is called.