D1105 injection pump stuck fuel shut off

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
How does one go about removing the injection pump when the fuel shut off will not push in? Without pushing in the fuel shut off there is no way the pump will come out of the engine block. Any advice would be great.

Also, The engine I am removing the pump from is a D1105T and the pump I have to replace it is off a D1105. The linkage inside is different between the two but the pumps themselves should be the same right?

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Remove the sol & use a rod or punch to tap the rack..
IF the engine has a side cover on it, where the throttle cable attaches.. remove it to get to the rack.
The solenoid HAS TO BE removed first..
The rack has a pin on it that MUST be aligned w/ a cut-out in the engine block before it will come up/out.

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
Well I was not sure what approach to take so I used a huge punch and hammer to drive the fuel shut off in enough to get the pump out. the pump looks great but something is for sure not right inside with the shutoff stuck like it is. I went ahead and installed the other pump and the little D1105T is running great on the ZD28 I installed it in. I am going to get creative to fit the exhaust under the hood but I think I can do it but it will not have a muffler. It is not that loud without a muffler so no big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735loQ4IVUA

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
I was not aware that I could take that little plate off and remove the sliding portion of the fuel shut off. I also had no idea what may drop down into the engine if I attempted to remove those parts with the pump still in the engine block. It took some major pounding to get the shut off slide to move as whatever it moves was firmly stuck in place inside the pump. The good news is with the other pump installed the little D1105T fired right up after priming the lines for a few moments. :D

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
I was not aware that I could take that little plate off and remove the sliding portion of the fuel shut off. I also had no idea what may drop down into the engine if I attempted to remove those parts with the pump still in the engine block. It took some major pounding to get the shut off slide to move as whatever it moves was firmly stuck in place inside the pump. The good news is with the other pump installed the little D1105T fired right up after priming the lines for a few moments. :D
I think you should thank your lucky stars that you didn't break something important, (right?). I didn't comment earlier but I noticed you did not seem to wait long for a reply and some guidance rather than resorting to a bfh and a bfp. :cool:

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
I had to get this thing running today so I made my mind up that if the pump was damaged it was just damaged as I had another known good working pump on hand. Clearly this pump i removed is in need of a major service or maybe something was broke inside of it. I did run this motor years back for a short time but it did not run very smooth at all so the pump may have had some kind of issue.

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
Big hammers around injection pumps always make me cringe.:eek:
Actually it was not a big hammer at all but the punch was a huge one so it would not slip off the shut off slider. :D

All is well, the video above is of the engine running after the pump swap. :)

Reactions: 1 user

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Yeah, I saw the video.. nice job..
I can take a look at that pump for you if you want.. its what I do.
The rack is stuck due to 2 things.. either a part is broken or the fuel is bad & gummed up the insides.
Milkyway> your right.. normally we have to wait DAYS or WEEKS for someone to "try" our suggestions. Lol