Custom Brush Cutter

pfabrizi

Equipment
B7300, loader, snowblower, ratchet rake, finish mower
Dec 8, 2012
West Suffield, ct
I am looking to make a DIY brush cutter for me property. I am on a very steep hill and each side of my property is wooded, so to keep the brush under control with a weed trimmer is a lot of work. I had an idea to create a brush cutter very similar to how a sickle bar mower works, so I can cut along the wood line as I drive up the hill.
What I did not know is if I would need to use a gearbox off the PTO or if I just used pulleys with bearings would work. I am not sure if it would spin to fast with out a gearbox.

any suggestions?

This would on a B7300

Thank You!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Unless you have a complete workshop making a sickle bar mower that can withstand the constant change of direction of the blade will most likely be much more then most DIYers ability.

You might be able to make something like this but buying it would probable work out better in the long run. I just did a quick look but I did not see a minimum PTO horse power requirement.

With this machine you might need to add counter weights to the machine. The gauge wheel seams like it would be a good idea.

pfabrizi

Equipment
B7300, loader, snowblower, ratchet rake, finish mower
Dec 8, 2012
West Suffield, ct
Unless you have a complete workshop making a sickle bar mower that can withstand the constant change of direction of the blade will most likely be much more then most DIYers ability.

You might be able to make something like this but buying it would probable work out better in the long run. I just did a quick look but I did not see a minimum PTO horse power requirement.

With this machine you might need to add counter weights to the machine. The gauge wheel seams like it would be a good idea.

So that is what I was looking to build only using a stump bump with blades to take down some of the heavier brush. I look at a 40hp gear box and a stump bump and blades. Those were about 300. I have to search the local farms and find and old rotary mower I can use the parts off of.

Thanks for the reply.