Cruise Control - L3902 HST

kanucmee

Equipment
L3902
Jun 30, 2023
Conway, AR
Hey guys, new to the forum but just recently acquired a 50th anniversary edition L3902 and was interested in putting in the cruise control option. It is an HST model and will be doing a lot of brush hogging with it, so will help with the long runs across the property.

I have looked through the instructions and even reviewed someone’s video that details the completed installation but the issue I’m having is that there should be a piece that connects to the treadle pedal on the left side of the tractor but I don’t see that piece to attach to.

So, is the L8455 (cruise control kit) compatible with the L3902 (or any of the Lxx02 series?) If so, what am I missing?

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Congrats on the new machine!

I don't know if that kit is compatible or not, but some pics might help us, help you. My pedal is on the right side of the machine.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you bought the correct OEM K kit for your machine it should just bolt on plug in and go.

My M59 has electronic HST control similar to the L6060 so no linkage going to the foot pedals. Do you have the right kit for your machine?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Just guessing here, the treadle pedal is already hooked up to the rod that goes through the transmission (and out the other side) which is where you hook up (tie in) the cruise control to.

Cruise control is mounted to the left side... the right side to the treadle pedal is already hooked up.

Last edited:

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
L3301 owner here. HST pedal is on the right; but my cruise control lever is on the left. From what I see on internet websites, it will be the same location on the L3902. Looks like cost of the kit is almost $300. Should be L8496?

Jack

kanucmee

Equipment
L3902
Jun 30, 2023
Conway, AR
L3301 owner here. HST pedal is on the right; but my cruise control lever is on the left. From what I see on internet websites, it will be the same location on the L3902. Looks like cost of the kit is almost $300. Should be L8496?

Jack
Thank you for providing the part number. Apparently I picked up the wrong part number as I have the L8455 which is for the 01 series but since I have the 02 series, looks like I will need to return this kit and get the L8496 one, which is designed for the 02 series. This would explain why nothing made sense!

To everyone else, thanks for the information as well and making me feel welcomed! It’s my first tractor and I’m excited to get it broken in! I’ll update this thread once I’m able to swap the kits out with the correct one and (hopefully) get it installed!

kanucmee

Equipment
L3902
Jun 30, 2023
Conway, AR
Well, I took the old kit (L8455) back to the dealer and have them swapping out with the correct one (L8496).

There are none in stock so they’ll have to get one ordered. Hopefully won’t take too long, but who knows.

kanucmee

Equipment
L3902
Jun 30, 2023
Conway, AR
So, just an update. Picked up the correct cruise control kit for the L3902 a week or two ago, but it’s been way too hot to get out there and get it installed. (Southern heat wave)
However, I was able to get out there last night and this morning to get it installed because the weather is actually bearable now.
Had a few issues getting it all put together but ultimately got it put on and working for the most part. The only part that doesn’t seem to be working is having it disengage the cruise control when the brakes are pressed. Couldn’t get that part figured out, but for now, we will just manually disengage it until I feel like spending the time trying to figure it out again.
But thanks to everyone on helping me get it all sorted out. The new kit definitely fit better than the old one. Guess it helps if you get the correct kit for the model you have! ☺

kanucmee

Equipment
L3902
Jun 30, 2023
Conway, AR
Likewise, I rarely use mine. So easy with the treadle petal, to make fine adjustment to speed based on how heavy the grass is that you are cutting. I've tried it several time but it doesn't save you much effort.
For the most part, I agree. However, having 10 acres to brush hog, it’ll make it easier to keep a steady speed. If I were doing bucket work or small areas, then I wouldn’t use it, but with brush hogging, there will be times where you don’t want to go full speed and trying to manually keep your pedal at a slower speed with your feet for hours can become tedious.
Again, may not be for all people but for my application, I think it can definitely be beneficial.