Corroded terminal - help!

kubotaworks

Equipment
1994 L2650
Mar 2, 2009
Northeast Washington State
Hello all -

Well, I'm guilty of not paying attention to the battery terminals on my '94 L2650....the positive one is corroded stuck..see pic. I'm spraying Liquid Wrench on it and have tried a screwdriver to separate the cable, etc. Any ideas, since space is limited? Has has worked for you??? :eek:

Attachments

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hacksaw. They are lead clamps and you can saw it off in about 1 minute. Even if you have only room for a blade and no handle. Just MAKE SURE the ground is disconnected. Then replace the cable end with a clamp-on, BUT, cut the cable nicely and peal back enough insulation to expose 5/8 inch of bare wire. If needed use some sand paper and brighten up the copper. Tin the end of the now fresh cable with some 50/50 solder. Clamp the end on the cable, and while using a torch to heat the steel clamp, solder the end onto the now tinned cable. Carefully....the new clamp is lead and too much heat and bloooop! fortunately lead melts about 250 degrees hotter than solder, so if you go easy with the heat...
But if you are not feeling brave, you can stop with just tinning the cable end and clamp it on. The tinning just helps keep the corrosion from eating away at the wires.

Last edited:

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Did you try baking soda and water mix ?
Let it fizz for a minute then hose it off, repeat as needed.

E/S

Reactions: 1 user

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Hello all -

Well, I'm guilty of not paying attention to the battery terminals on my '94 L2650....the positive one is corroded stuck..see pic. I'm spraying Liquid Wrench on it and have tried a screwdriver to separate the cable, etc. Any ideas, since space is limited? Has has worked for you??? :eek:
Slowly pour a kettle full of boiling water over the terminal the corrosion will disappear and loosen it,if you have managed to undo the clamp bolt.
Dave

kubotaworks

Equipment
1994 L2650
Mar 2, 2009
Northeast Washington State
Thanks for the help, guys. Actually the fuse holder lug broke off the terminal, and it appears that the nut on the bolt has corroded to the point of not there. Still stuck; will try more liquid wrench and let it soak this week and perhaps some boiling water to help loosen.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Can't tell from photo but if you have access a terminal lifter might be used.

Less than $10 or so and well worth having in the toolbox for those occasional terminals that can't otherwise be removed.

Be sure to remove Negative cable first.

Prying with screwdriver can crack battery case as terminal penetration of case is not well reinforced.

Avoid replacing terminal with 'marine'-type wing-nut clamp or two-bolt saddle clamp. Better to replace entire cable and avoid future problems. Increase cable size if possible for reduced heat and best power flow to starter.

Make thick (like peanut butter) paste of water and baking soda. Glop thick paste on both terminals. Will dry to hard crust. Wash off occasionally and repeat. Keeps terminals spiffy clean. Much better than grease.

Reactions: 1 user

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you tried to use a punch and a small hammer to tap it loose? A few strokes should get it loose. After you get it cleaned up try applying a good blob of vasoline to the terminal. It will keep it from corroding up again.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
2 words:
Coca-Cola.
Try it, be surprised.
KC

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Somebody suggested replacing the whole cable. Good idea. After you have the battery out where you can work on it the clamp will come off easy. Then like previously stated use Vaseline on the connection. Make sure you coat the battery terminal and the cable separately before you clamp it on. And then coat the whole connection again after it is together. Vaseline works so much better than any other product.:D