constant smoke from L210

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
so today i cleaned out my oil bath filter that clearly has not been done for some time as brown sludge is what came out. put it all back together and started the ol girl and she smoked like it was -20f but it was 60f. thought maybe some oil got sucked up in the motor so i let her run for nearly two hrs and she kept smoking the whole time. the white smoke changed to blue after about 15min. but as soon as you bumped the throttle off idle it would go right back to white. before i cleaned the filter it would smoke some at start up then go clear but under a load smoke gray/black.

im sorta at a loss as it is running like it is over fueling, but i would think cleaning the air filter would lessen any over fueling. only thing i can think is that maybe the valves need adjusted and the severity of the need has been hidden do to the filter being as dirty as it was.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
You could try running some type of diesel injector cleaner through it and see if that helps too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What you are explaining is a multitude of different things.
White smoke is poor ignition, extreme over fueling, or water getting into the cylinders.
Blue smoke is burning oil, either from the oil bath filter (unlikely), rings, or valve guides.
Black smoke is from over fueling and running very hot, not really that bad of an issues, and could just be turned up to high and rich, on a diesel can be a tough thing to adjust.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Have you tried removing the air filter and running the engine to see if the smoke changes?

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
well i went out today after she sat all night, decided to just start her and see what happens and she is back to her "normal" self. small bit of smoke when she starts then cleared right up and gray smoke you throttle up or put a load on. so i am thinking i may have added a bit to much oil and she sucked some in.