Considering B2601 w/ FEL & BB (borrowed BX1870 long-term) - Tips?

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
Got a small backyard mountain bike park and we're always moving around rocks & re-working things to create new challenges, reshaping the yard, etc. I borrowed/rented a BX1870 for about 5 months and it was quite nimble, yet barely hydraulically under-powered for some of the rocks I'd like to have lifted.

Seriously looking at buying a B2601. Looks a lot bigger, but the spec sheets only have it listed as a little bigger.

Questions:
  1. Maneuverability - I liked the nimble spirit of the BX. Any noticeable loss of maneuverability w/ B?
  2. Is the B2601 less tipsy? Looks quite a bit wider. Specs show ~4" wider. Our yard is not flat.
  3. Can I see the bucket tilt angle? on my inlaw's 1960 Case/IH, it's impossible. On the BX, I could lean over and see the bucket tilt. (the dealer currently doesn't have a B w/ bucket installed)
  4. Box Blade - Worth buying a Kubota BB straight from the dealer? Or is there a better option from a diff brand?
  5. Box Blade Width - The 48" blade on the BX seemed small. Does a 60" pair nicely w/ the B?
  6. Quick-Attach FEL - worth doing this? I don't have plans to detach often, so I'm thinking no.
Anything else I should consider, let me know. I'm here to make fewer stupid mistakes than I'd make otherwise!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Having neither I can't answer all your questions. I can tell you a tractor is less tipsy if you add liquid (beet juice seems currently preferred) to your tires for more weight. You can probably see the bucket tilt angle but if not you can also add a tilt angle indicator pretty easily. Any category 1 box blade should do, even a used one. As far as width goes I'd probably get one about the width of the tractor. If you try moving too much dirt at once the tractor will quit moving. Raise the blade and take less dirt. Quick attach FEL seems all the rage but I passed on that option. I have nothing else to mount on the front of my tractor so it seemed a waste. If you change your mind later it will probably involve the purchase of a different bucket.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I went from a BX to a B2601.
Operator station between BX and B2601 is essentially the same cramped uncomfortable station. If you dont have long days in the seat, its not big deal. The B2601 is more tippy than a BX, by a lot. The B2601 is going to fit everywhere your BX did.

There is no bucket level indicator rod for B2601 with SSQA bucket, one can be made by cobbling together parts from other loaders, there is a post about it in this forum, about $100 in parts. Otherwise, it uses a level indicator sticker, which is adequate.

The capabilities between the BX and B2601 are very close, you are gaining more ground clearance, and a little bit more lifting capacity.

100% skip the "Swift-tach" loader for the regular loader. It is janky, and generally prone to problems. Removing the regular loader take 2 minutes, and it doesnt leak.

48" Box Blade is a little narrow for B2601, barely covering its tracks. I ran BB1260 on my B2601, it worked well as long as you didnt load the box up with too much material, but it'll handle it fine.

I would have the dealer add a 3rd function if you decide to buy a grapple later. If you are going to use box blade a lot, get a set of rear valves for top and tilt should you get sick of adjusting the rear links.

Reactions: 1 users

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
I went from a BX to a B2601.
Operator station between BX and B2601 is essentially the same cramped uncomfortable station. If you dont have long days in the seat, its not big deal. The B2601 is more tippy than a BX, by a lot. The B2601 is going to fit everywhere your BX did.
B2601 is more tippy!? Oh no... that may be a deal-breaker. Junk.

The capabilities between the BX and B2601 are very close, you are gaining more ground clearance, and a little bit more lifting capacity.
Re: lifting capacity, I'm seeing BX @ 680lbs & B @ 1411. Am I looking at the wrong numbers or an inaccurate chart?

1647907328243.png

I would have the dealer add a 3rd function if you decide to buy a grapple later. If you are going to use box blade a lot, get a set of rear valves for top and tilt should you get sick of adjusting the rear links.
I didn't even realize the valves for tilt are an option but that sounds handy. Thanks!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The capacity of the loader on the BX I think is around 600 pounds, and the LA435 on the B2601 it is around 900 pounds. You might be looking at the 3 point lift capacity.

An LX2610 will get you more creature comforts, a little bit wider, just as nimble as a B2601, more loader capacity (now you're about double BX). For maybe $2k more than B2601. I sold my B2601 after 250 hours and 9 months, I outgrew it fast and was really uncomfortable on it.

Reactions: 2 users

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
JUNK. ??? Why don’t you research other manufacturers newbie. Head to TSC and buy your tractor.
I'll happily accept newbie insults as I enjoy the attention :D :D

If there's another color of tractor I should consider, I'm up for it.

"Junk" was not an expression towards the equipment, but rather, of the situation. Since I already felt the BX to be a bit tipsy, I was bummed to hear the B is more tipsy.

That may tip me back towards a BX.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I'll happily accept newbie insults as I enjoy the attention :D :D

If there's another color of tractor I should consider, I'm up for it.

"Junk" was not an expression towards the equipment, but rather, of the situation. Since I already felt the BX to be a bit tipsy, I was bummed to hear the B is more tipsy.

That may tip me back towards a BX.
You could always add wheel spacers. I installed 2” wheel spacers on my B2601 and it made a significant improvement on my hilly property.

Just a thought…

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
Pretty easy to put an attention seeker on the ignore list. Done.
Oh, I'm not seeking attention. I'm just enjoying the negative attention and TSC advice you're giving me. And, if you're a troll, you're probably hungry for responses.

JUNK. ??? Why don’t you research other manufacturers newbie. Head to TSC and buy your tractor.
TSC? Troll!

Here's a real answer to your question for anybody else who may be wondering.

I didn't research other manufacturers due to
  1. Falling in love with the BX I borrowed
  2. The # of people around here who own Kubotas and love them.
  3. Living in a small town where the main dealer is a Kubota dealer, whom I've had good experiences with.

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
You could always add wheel spacers. I installed 2” wheel spacers on my B2601 and it made a significant improvement on my hilly property.

Just a thought…

Mike
Ah, good idea. That doesn't sound too expensive.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have experience with the B/BX/LX tractors so nothing to add there. I do second B737’s advice on the hydraulic top link and side link if you’re doing much grading past flattening trails once in a while. The time you save by making adjustments with a quick wrist flick from the seat is worth the price regardless exactly what tractor you end up with,

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
I don’t have experience with the B/BX/LX tractors so nothing to add there. I do second B737’s advice on the hydraulic top link and side link if you’re doing much grading past flattening trails once in a while. The time you save by making adjustments with a quick wrist flick from the seat is worth the price regardless exactly what tractor you end up with,
What's the rough cost for that quick wrist flick? This sounds insanely handy.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, you might want to consider an LX2010 SU. It has larger tires, and it is very stable for a tractor. Additionally, it actually costs less than a B2601 - no mid-PTO on the LX SU. The operator station on the LX is roomier and modern (loader stick at your side, almost flat floor and etc.)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
What's the rough cost for that quick wrist flick? This sounds insanely handy.
Mine was a turnkey job from the dealer. 3 rear remotes (2 for the top/tilt and one left over for something else, two center return, one float) plus the cylinders, hoses, labor. About $3K. You can save $ doing it yourself. One thing I like about mine which some don’t care about, there are 3 slots just behind the 3 point control where the valve controls fit on my tractor so the OEMs make a really clean install.
EAC7188C-35A0-4FC8-9900-6EF5A9C9C57A.jpeg
C6BDE0D0-AC5F-49E5-8B49-C1B370F39593.jpeg
D54F003C-A863-47AC-B65A-6F7A11E6D9BB.jpeg

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Pretty much agree with what B737 said, but I've only ever tried out a BX18xx way back in 2004. Have had JDs since then and now have a B2601, which is better than JDs in every way except for jerky FEL and uncomfortable reverse HST. For me, it has plenty of space, but I am average size. It is also far less tippy than the JDs were. My wife remarked that it is smaller than the 2025R. Yes, not as tall = less tippy. MUCH more comfortable riding.

Don't like the rubber mat, probably same as on the BX. Have learned to not rotate my foot while it is on the mat. Step on with left foot; put right foot onto top of HST hump and rotate left foot after lifting it.