Confusion when checking transmission fluid level on B-series

tallguy104

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Nov 3, 2021
Australia
This is the first tractor I have owned.

Whenever I pull my transmission fluid level dipstick on my B2301 it is bone dry. Then when I dip it a second time it clearly has fluid on it. So which reading is right? I check it every time I use the tractor and it is always bone try when it is first pulled. The minute I dip it back in and then out it has fluid on it.

I tried adding a pint of fluid and I'm still getting the same result.

Anyone else finding the same with their Kubota?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My B2910 is the same. BUT I think after adding fluid it does show the increased level.

Be sure to check level after removing the dip stick, cleaning it, and re inserting it.

I do not have the same tractor and can only say what works for me on mine.

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tallguy104

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Nov 3, 2021
Australia
Likely not the issue, but I found that when I check the hydraulic oil level the dipstick needs to be pulled out the first time, cleaned and re-inserted, then the oil level becomes visible on it when pulled out again.
The first time the dipstick is pulled, it it will come out DRY.
That is because the oil level can go below the dipstick level when the tractor is running and hydraulics in use, even though the oil level is correct when parked. Once the oil drops below the dipstick, it will not refill the dipstick tube even though the oil level is correct.
That is because the o-ring seal at the top of the dipstick prevents air escaping when the oil level rises to a resting state, so the oil level in the tube remains below the bottom of the dipstick.
Just remove the dipstick, then reinsert and pull to check thelevel.

This issue had me running in circles for a few months after I bought my new tractor until the cause became apparent.

Oh cool, that does actually explain it.
Had me worried as I did have a bit of a hydraulic leak recently and wasn't sure how much fluid had been lost, so I was concerned I was getting a false positive with my multiple dips.

Thanks!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
This is the first tractor I have owned.

Whenever I pull my transmission fluid level dipstick on my B2301 it is bone dry. Then when I dip it a second time it clearly has fluid on it. So which reading is right? I check it every time I use the tractor and it is always bone try when it is first pulled. The minute I dip it back in and then out it has fluid on it.

I tried adding a pint of fluid and I'm still getting the same result.

Anyone else finding the same with their Kubota?
The dipstick top o-ring seal traps air under it until you lift it out to wipe it., then the fluid can rise to it's normal level in the dipstick tube. Then check.
Sa,me issue with my B2650.
Pull the dipper, usually dry - wipe and insert and check again the real level.