Compost, Topsoil or both?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
they'll be 'tears of joy', once the grass comes up PDQ, and real purdy too !!!
Course then you'll have to CUT that grass ! hmm...seems like a 'make work forever' project ??
Gotta justify my ongoing farm equipment obsession somehow!

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you have lots of grass to cut,it'll need 'top dressing' every year or two... so get a Millcreek 25G spreader !!! They do a GREAT job of tossing compost,triple mix and such evenly all over the lawns. Disengage the beater bars and it'll lay material down in nice even strips ...perfect for veggie garden 'amendments'.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If you have lots of grass to cut,it'll need 'top dressing' every year or two... so get a Millcreek 25G spreader !!! They do a GREAT job of tossing compost,triple mix and such evenly all over the lawns. Disengage the beater bars and it'll lay material down in nice even strips ...perfect for veggie garden 'amendments'.
Not much grass here. Maybe 3/4ths an acre including the drainfield. The drainfield is well fertilized. The rest is wooded MX trail 😁

tractorlogic

Equipment
Ford, Chinese, Dealer
Mar 26, 2023
Al
Just snooping on you guys conversation on top soil or compost earlier and wanted to add that if you ever want to grow ANYTHING but grass be careful not to get any compost or filler contaminated with Garzon weed control. It contaminates manure and whatever for up to seven years and it ruined my garden spot.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I guess I am just spoiled with rich black dirt that is 3 feet deep. Although that spot by the propane that that gets "Watered daily" by me does seem to have the greenest grass. Also hair cuttings are good fertilizer too besides the coffee grounds and egg shells.