Complete rewire?

Orangepild

Equipment
B2650
Oct 24, 2022
3rd Rock
Took the day off to take advantage of some warm weather today at my property. I was cleaning out my window, air conditioner and heard a crunching sound over by my tractor. My 11 month old golden doodle had been chewing his way through every bit of wiring. now I’m certain nothing works on it. The dash lights light up but it won’t start. Anybody recommend a certain wiring method? i’m thinking about getting quick connect harness ends. not what I needed right before winter because I use this for all my snowblowing of my property.

Attachments

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
you can get a weather tite connector pair since you will not need it for other things. or just butt connectors and I like liquid tap and marine grade heat shrink. can use harnes wrap tape or?

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
There are different solutions, depending on how much wire you have left that is not exposed (bare).
Easiest may be heat-shrink butt splice connectors with some dielectric grease to ensure water stays out.
Other splicing can work, if you use heat shrink tubing that has embedded hot glue inside to help seal the splice.
Electrical tape will not survive.
If the wires are exposed a fair bit in length, you may have to either do a double splice, or simply re-wire (replace) one end of the wire. That depends on where it goes and how easy it is to get to both ends (cut end to final device).
Myself, I do splices by using butt-splice connector (some heat-shrink and internal hot glue), lots of waterproofing "stuff" over it and then a final heat shrink over the entire wire to squeeze everything together and keep water out. I use a black putty called "coax seal" to do my waterproofing over any splice or outdoor connection for low voltage wiring, followed by heat shrink tubing over it.

If you want to use a connect/disconnect harness, look at Weatherpak (Weatherpack) connectors. Those are what are used in most automobiles now, and provide weather proofing. You can get them in 1 to 6 pin configurations, possibly even more pins if necessary. They are wire size dependent, so make sure you know the size of wiring you are fixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Fortunately, the wires are color coded so it won't be too hard to hook them back together again properly. Keep you chin up. You can do this.

Above advice is good advice. You may have to buy a roll of heat shrink, some butt connectors and a crimping tool to crimp the butt connectors if you do not already have these things...

Price a replacement Kubota wiring harness and you will become motivated to do this repair, judging from what I have heard repoted (here at OTT) of prices from Kubota for replacement wiring harnesses...

Reactions: 1 user

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
Before I spent any time on repairs, I think I would leave some low hanging, easily accessible wires attached to an electric fencer... Mr. Doodle should quickly figure out that these aren't chew toys.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users