Clutch Rusting to Flywheel - prevention?

PeterA

Equipment
B6200 HST 4WD @ SIMS cab, Kubota 1630 FEL, rototiller & plough
Dec 17, 2010
St. John's Newfoundland
In OTT's article "Getting to Know Your Kubota's Clutch," the author says that
"Kubota recommends that when storing your equipment, have the clutch disc pressure relieved by way of placing a block under the foot board after the clutch pedal has been depressed. This relieves the pressure on the clutch and prevents it from rusting to the flywheel." Questions:

1. How many of you do this?

2. Does anyone have a photo they can post showing how a block is placed under the foot board in such a way as to keep the pedal depressed? I can think of other ways of keeping it depressed, but not this method; can't visualize it (must be stunned). Peter

Attachments

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
In OTT's article "Getting to Know Your Kubota's Clutch," the author says that
"Kubota recommends that when storing your equipment, have the clutch disc pressure relieved by way of placing a block under the foot board after the clutch pedal has been depressed. This relieves the pressure on the clutch and prevents it from rusting to the flywheel." Questions:

1. How many of you do this? ...
Peter

I do it but not with a block. My L3400 has a pin to push in after pressing the clutch pedel down. I do it even if it's going to be sitting a couple of weeks. I think it's a good habit to get into.

semi42

Jun 21, 2011
uk
i remember getting a wooden block in the supplied toolkit once specifically for this purpose but any bit of wood / material will do

you depress the clutch, and place the block between the clutch pedal bar and the underside of the floor so it keeps the clutch pedal in the depressed position

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Personally I do not ascribe to the blocking the clutch pdeal, This compresses the springs in a spring type pressure plate and puts the spring steel arms in a diaphragm type pressure plate in a constant flexed/tensed position, I personally believe that this can result in premature pressure plate failure in both types, I use my machine just as much throughout all 4 seasons to not have to worry about any rust occurrence from moisture accumulation and even if I did not use it for an extended period it would be a simple task of going out and starting the tractor every month or so which would keep the pressure plate/clutch disc free from any rust and you would get the added benefit of keeping the battery charged and cycling all the fluids throughout the engine,transmission and hydraulic system. If you are going to be away for an extended term such as deployment overseas you could have someone such as a relative do this for you, My mother was in charge of starting my car every 3 weeks during my deployments in the early 70's.

While I can understand the theory of depressing the pressure plate where the tractor is subject to conditions such as operating and sitting parked in a rice paddy where rust accumulation could occur within several days I doubt that many of us actually subject our tractors to that type enviornment.
These are just my personal thoughts on this subject and in my experience where I have purchased old tractors,trucks and cars that have been sitting either outside or in a barn for up to several years I have found very few occasions where the clutch disc has been rusted so solid to the pressure plate/flywheel surface that I was not able to free them and on those that were the moisture had damaged the clutch disc so replacement was necessary and even if the clutch had been depressed disassembly and replacement would still have been required as would resurfacing of the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces.
Again these are just my personal experiences.observations and opinions so make your own decisions

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Hey folks! As a side note, anyone have a pic of a vintage toolkit including the woodblock that would come with a B6000 or B7100? All that came in any of my three were a couple of mouse nests and dead mice. I would really like to see an original set as possible, so I know what to start looking for. I really want a complete set for one of my 6000's.

thks, kytim

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
Personally I do not ascribe to the blocking the clutch pdeal, This compresses the springs in a spring type pressure plate and puts the spring steel arms in a diaphragm type pressure plate in a constant flexed/tensed position, I personally believe that this can result in premature pressure plate failure in both types, I use my machine just as much throughout all 4 seasons to not have to worry about any rust occurrence from moisture accumulation and even if I did not use it for an extended period it would be a simple task of going out and starting the tractor every month or so which would keep the pressure plate/clutch disc free from any rust and you would get the added benefit of keeping the battery charged and cycling all the fluids throughout the engine,transmission and hydraulic system. If you are going to be away for an extended term such as deployment overseas you could have someone such as a relative do this for you, My mother was in charge of starting my car every 3 weeks during my deployments in the early 70's.

While I can understand the theory of depressing the pressure plate where the tractor is subject to conditions such as operating and sitting parked in a rice paddy where rust accumulation could occur within several days I doubt that many of us actually subject our tractors to that type enviornment.
These are just my personal thoughts on this subject and in my experience where I have purchased old tractors,trucks and cars that have been sitting either outside or in a barn for up to several years I have found very few occasions where the clutch disc has been rusted so solid to the pressure plate/flywheel surface that I was not able to free them and on those that were the moisture had damaged the clutch disc so replacement was necessary and even if the clutch had been depressed disassembly and replacement would still have been required as would resurfacing of the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces.
Again these are just my personal experiences.observations and opinions so make your own decisions
I could not agree more!

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Hey folks! As a side note, anyone have a pic of a vintage toolkit including the woodblock that would come with a B6000 or B7100? All that came in any of my three were a couple of mouse nests and dead mice. I would really like to see an original set as possible, so I know what to start looking for. I really want a complete set for one of my 6000's.

thks, kytim
I have a set of the tools that was in my 1979 B7100, but for some reason I can't find them right now. When I do I will shoot you a picture. I don't remember a wooden block!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I agree with morningstar, with one exception. If the clutch does rust and stick, better hope the eng does not start the first time, expecially if it's in a garage. It'll go thru the wall!!!

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales

thks, kytim
Well I can help you with the wooden block,it was stuck to the bottom of the toolbox right at the back of it and was the only thing in there except for an oily rag which I don't think was original!:D
dave

Last edited:

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
Well I can help you with the wooden block,it was stuck to the bottom of the toolbox right at the back of it and was the only thing in there except for an oily rag which I don't think was original!:D
dave

Maybe thats why you should stick the block under the pedal every now and then. So it doesn't stick to the bottom of the tool box. LOL...

Good argument on the metal fatigue. I wonder what they mean by, "If it's going to be sitting for a while". Mine doesn't usually sit for a couple of weeks but I'm trying to adopt good habits. I know from reading a couple of post that there are a couple of folks that wish they used that block. But my guess it is from letting it sit for months vs. weeks.

Tom

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn

thks, kytim
:D I wonder how much the dead mouse options were back then.:p