clutch problem L245DT

mike54

Nov 27, 2011
batavia new york
Have not used my tractor in a few months. Now the clutch pedal will not release the clutch to enable the tractor to start. any-one know who to fix this?

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
I have have read that you are sometimes able to release the clutch by towing the tractor with another vehicle. Others have said they had to split the tractor to get at it to repair it.

For the record, there was a block of wood shipped with the tractor that you use to keep the pedal depressed while it is stored. This prevents the problem.

Good luck,

Profnohair

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
We need a little better explanation here. If the tractor is in neutral, you push the clutch in and it won't start I would blame the clutch safety switch. If it has a neutral safety switch it could be that also. I would bypass them one at a time to find the culprit. Myself, first I would jump the starter solenoid (with tractor in neutral) to see if it is working.

I have had stuck clutches where I started the vehicle, warmed it up some, shut it off, start it in gear and drive around with the clutch pedal depressed. With a tractor you can use the brakes to put a strain on things to help break it loose. The higher the gear the more strain on the clutch to help break it loose. We had an old rice truck that I would start in low, go out on the road, wind it up in low, shift to second, wind it up again and shift to third. Third always seemed to break it loose.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Here is a earlier thread on the subject and the proper procedure that I was trying to explain.

"Tim Bronson Said,

August 17, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

I have a Kubota L1501. I live in Florida, the clutch was working ok grinding just a bit at times. I parked it for about 3 weeks and the clutch will not work, can’t get it into gear. I suspect that the clutch has rusted to the flywheel. Is there any way to free up the clutch with out replacing the components?
Thanks,

Tim

Vic Said,

August 17, 2009 @ 7:05 pm

Yep, it’s called the bump and grind. Start tractor in a higher gear, drive fairly quickly straight ahead, then slam on the brakes as hard as you can to stall the tractor. Once or twice is all you’ll need to free the disc from the flywheel. Been there and done it!!

Vic"