Clutch on HST tractor

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
Ok guys you can start chuckling. :eek: As you probably know there is a clutch pedal on my L5740 HST and for the life of me I don't see the need. They make me depress it to start it. I tried to see if it made it easier shifting ranges, which it didn't. Maybe it is used to quickly disengage the cruise control or maybe they save money by building them with a clutch whether they are geared or HST.

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
It does help for cold weather starting,takes the transmission out of the equation.For long storage depress and engage the clip.I think they did away with the clutch on the new 60 series.

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
It does help for cold weather starting,takes the transmission out of the equation.For long storage depress and engage the clip.I think they did away with the clutch on the new 60 series.
Makes sense. There must be different systems on my brother in laws HST John Deere since his does not have a clutch.

redrocketship

Equipment
MX5100
May 20, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Ok guys you can start chuckling. :eek: As you probably know there is a clutch pedal on my L5740 HST and for the life of me I don't see the need. They make me depress it to start it. I tried to see if it made it easier shifting ranges, which it didn't. Maybe it is used to quickly disengage the cruise control or maybe they save money by building them with a clutch whether they are geared or HST.
Have to depress the clutch to engage the PTO. At least on my MX5100 you do.

zoomy

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
My manual says to engage the PTO to do it at idle then bring up the throttle gradually. Never mentions the clutch.

Balvar24

Equipment
L3800 HST, 5ft Rotary Cutter, 5ft Box Blade, Pallet Forks, 72" Rotary Tiller
Feb 18, 2014
Rock Ridge
Manual for my L3800 says to use the clutch for switching ranges and engaging 4wd as well as the PTO.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I owned an L5030 and now L5740 and the clutch is one of the few complaints I have. They have, wisely in my opinion eliminated it on the L60 as mentioned.

The GL's have an independent PTO for engagement without depressing the clutch though some like to use the clutch for smoother engagement or to disconnect if they hit an object. None of our other tractors with independent PTO's work this way, so I don't use it.

zoomy

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
I owned an L5030 and now L5740 and the clutch is one of the few complaints I have. They have, wisely in my opinion eliminated it on the L60 as mentioned.

The GL's have an independent PTO for engagement without depressing the clutch though some like to use the clutch for smoother engagement or to disconnect if they hit an object. None of our other tractors with independent PTO's work this way, so I don't use it.
The clutch does not bother me so much as the mystery why it's there. I looked thru my owners manual and besides needing to depress the clutch for starting it is only needed for the manual transmission version. Then it is used when engaging all wheel drive. Mine has the independent PTO and has its own clutch.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
The clutch does not bother me so much as the mystery why it's there. I looked thru my owners manual and besides needing to depress the clutch for starting it is only needed for the manual transmission version. Then it is used when engaging all wheel drive. Mine has the independent PTO and has its own clutch.
3800s pto clutch is independent as well; it is however controlled by the clutch pedal. You happen to have the luxury of having a push-button electronic clutch (or hydraulic lever shift). As to why it's on your machine....well the engineers slipped it by accounting obviously. They probably still laugh about it at random when someone from accounting calls. ;)

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I will have to look at my manual again, but I was pretty sure it said to use it when changing ranges though I never do.

This has been raised several times before and I have yet to see a definitive answer, so we are not alone.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
3800s pto clutch is independent as well; it is however controlled by the clutch pedal. You happen to have the luxury of having a push-button electronic clutch (or hydraulic lever shift). As to why it's on your machine....well the engineers slipped it by accounting obviously. They probably still laugh about it at random when someone from accounting calls. ;)
According to the Kubota website, the L3800 has a live-continuous running PTO not independent.

http://www.kubota.com/product/L3200/pdf/l_series_spec.pdf

zoomy

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
I guess the L5740 transmission clutch is kind of like the appendix in the human body, needed at some point with a older model and might have some residual usefulness but can get along OK without it.

Last edited: