Clearing land for a garden and orchard

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
check out the design of a potato harvester. you might find a way to adapt the design to harvest your rocks and haul them away from your garden...

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Some of the turnips needed to be thinned out. They were a little small, but I wanted to give the others more room to grow

Some of the wildflowers are blooming

Oh and some stuff I didnt plant is ready for eating

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
How deep do you sink in that soil when you walk over it? Is that soil pressed in one or another way aftet it got tilted?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

Right after its tilled, prob a good 3-4".

One perviously i let it get rained on first. Second field I planted it right after. Didn't make a difference. I walked on it pretty good. Ive also planted then drove the tractor on to pack them. Doesn't seem to make a difference so far.

My row planter has wheels that pack it, along with me walking on it.

Neire

Equipment
B5000
Jun 11, 2017
Belgium
Right after its tilled, prob a good 3-4".

One perviously i let it get rained on first. Second field I planted it right after. Didn't make a difference. I walked on it pretty good. Ive also planted then drove the tractor on to pack them. Doesn't seem to make a difference so far.

My row planter has wheels that pack it, along with me walking on it.
Arent you getring bad drainage spots then?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Golly that looks like my garden,,, yeah a rock garden,, but it grew stuff,,lol

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Got some more land cleared today. It was a welcome surprise to not be getting the "Biblical rain" that was called for this weekend.

Then we had a small campfire tonight and made some smore with the kids. Such a nice night out.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not to worry BC we got the rain, and I really doubt we have to worry about the water levels in the wells for a while :D Your doing a find job, the freezer should be full this winter

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Not to worry BC we got the rain, and I really doubt we have to worry about the water levels in the wells for a while :D Your doing a find job, the freezer should be full this winter

Yah 9.25" of rain here this month....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We got, depending who you listen to, 3.5 to 4.2 inches the week, I have trees down that between the wind and wet ground have up rooted,,, oh freekin joy ,,,at least I wont have to go to far for wood

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Got one of the newly cleared fields plowed. Now to let it sit a little while for the plant material to breakdown a bit, then hit it with the tiller. This will just get grass planted. Trying to expand some play area for the boys. The tractor was really struggling pulling the plow through this soil. Not sure whats going on. L gear full throttle and it was still bogging down. I swear ever since it came back from the dealership for service its been running different.

Got some seat time throwin some bigger rocks around the fire pit.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Looks like I was too late on planting the sweet corn for a late harvest. I planted two rows, and it looks like 2-3 sprouted.

The squash and pumpkin plants are looking hearty.

Finn was helping weed

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
The rain and the warm days and cooler nights have really been kind to the pumpkin and butternut squash

Getting some broccoli crowns

Lack of time has given way to weeds. The rowed crops are still growing though.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
The pumpkins and butternut squash are really taking over. We've harvested some bush beans already and have gotten 5-6 zucchinis so far. Its been a successful late planting thus far.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very cool,,, NOW take all the kids and give them a crayon and take them to the pumpkin patch. Let each one pick out one pumpkin and then let them write their names in the skin, the indention will stay and when they are ripe each one will have the kids name on it

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Very cool,,, NOW take all the kids and give them a crayon and take them to the pumpkin patch. Let each one pick out one pumpkin and then let them write their names in the skin, the indention will stay and when they are ripe each one will have the kids name on it

Thats a good idea. We're hoping to have enough grown to let the boys do a pumpkin pick during their birthday parties (which are in October)