Cleaning your 3-point finish mower

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
For those of you that have/use 3-point finish mowers, how do you clean them? I assume just a strong spray of water from a hose (vs. pressure washer), but how are you lifting yours up for access? Last time I cleaned mine, I just lifted it up with a chain using my loader, but it didn't get quite high enough or vertical enough to allow really great access. Also, I was a little concerned about putting weight on the "outrigger" wheels while lifting it up in that position.

What have you found works well and allows good access? FYI - I have the Land Pride FDR1660.

Thank you,

Dean

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
My bush hog mower is 18 years old and I have never cleaned the bottom. The most I do is use a air hose to blow the grass off the top and there is really no rust on it.

The seal has gone bad and I filled it with grease. It's a five foot mower being pulled by a 6 foot tractor now. I have only changed the blades, every thing else is original. I will run it till it dies, or I find a super deal on a 6 foot one.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
For those of you that have/use 3-point finish mowers, how do you clean them? I assume just a strong spray of water from a hose (vs. pressure washer), but how are you lifting yours up for access? Last time I cleaned mine, I just lifted it up with a chain using my loader, but it didn't get quite high enough or vertical enough to allow really great access. Also, I was a little concerned about putting weight on the "outrigger" wheels while lifting it up in that position.

What have you found works well and allows good access? FYI - I have the Land Pride FDR1660.

Thank you,

Dean
Well...I dont have one now, but when I did......I would crank the top link as short as possible. When lifting the mower, it would tilt forward considerably when lifted and I could easily access the underneath. I would pressure wash the underneath every 2 weeks or so, followed by a spray down with Synthetic spray grease to coat the underside when dry. I never had any problems with damaging seals or anything, so I just continued the practice regularly. After that, the whole thing would get a lube job before the next use. I had 6 acres of lawns to mow, and had about 1500 hours on the deck when I sold the ranch so to speak. Never had any issues with the deck, ever. It was an Italian made deck, I am pretty sure it was a Caroni, but it was a 60 inch deck. I never put any repairs in the deck, and the only thing I ever bought for it was an extra set of blades.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've used the beaterboss method for cleaning the deck while still attached to the tractor. With the toplink as short as possible, I park with the tractor facing downhill (rear tires just ready to leave the level ground and front wheels on the slope). I can scrape or pressure wash without getting under the deck. I have an old ice chopper with a long handle. I cut the blade narrower so it gets into the corners nicely.

When I remove the deck in the Fall I use the FEL to pick it and prop it against a tree to do a thorough cleaning and a good coat of Fluid Film. I should do that 3 times a season but I'm too lazy.

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I will continue to clean out after use and look into the fluid film.
This last mowing, I was getting a number of stalks of grass that were not completely cut. I will have to think about how I am mowing and look closer at where in the path the stalks are being left. While I like this Land Pride grooming mower, I am wondering if I should have gone with the brush cutter style. I guess we'll see.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dean

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I will continue to clean out after use and look into the fluid film.
This last mowing, I was getting a number of stalks of grass that were not completely cut. I will have to think about how I am mowing and look closer at where in the path the stalks are being left. While I like this Land Pride grooming mower, I am wondering if I should have gone with the brush cutter style. I guess we'll see.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dean
It sounds to me like your blades need to be sharpened if the grass stalks are not being cut. That's usually my signal to sharpen my blades.

Gary

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
If you clean it good after mowing, just before using it again spray the entire underside with Silicone. It makes cleaning it a lot easier and keeps the grass from sticking.

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
I think I will look into the Fluid Film/Silicone idea. Makes sense that it a) keeps some stuff from sticking and b) makes the stuff that does stick easier to clean off.

gcmiller... this is only the first time I've mowed the whole field. You may be right, but disappointing if so that the blades would come from the factory that dull. I will check and give them a little attention if needed. That's usually the first thing I think of with my walk-behind, just didn't dawn on me with this since it's brand new.

Thanks again, guys!

Dean

Rookie Farmer

Equipment
B2650 SSQD forks 60" rear finish mower
Jun 9, 2017
Tenino, WA
I just purchased the same finish mower to use with my B2650. I found that I was not getting a clean cut as well at first. I just slowed down and it made a big difference. I got 1.5 acres that was 12-18" of weeds and grass. I expect now that it is knocked down I will get better results mowing every week.

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
Rookie,
I'm going to check my blades, but I believe that is probably the "smoking gun", i.e. cause of my uncut material. It certainly didn't feel like I was blazing around the pasture while cutting, but it may have been a little fast. Right now, I have a similar crop of 12-18" combination of winter rye, horse forage and weeds - although it's not a consistent covering. There are lots of small patches and it seems like the way the clumps of winter rye grow lend to uncut stalks if I don't approach reasonable slowly.

All in the learning curve. As that pasture fills in, I will have to cut it more frequently and probably more slowly to get a clean cut. Will have to see if the grooming mower turns out to be a good fit for that application.

One of these days, we will have to compare notes on control of Canadian Thistle and Buttercup :D

Thanks,

Dean