Cleaning Underside of Mower???

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I do not clean it as often as I should but it still has been around for a long time. I remove the drive shaft and throw a small come-along over the ROPS and attach it to the top link under the seat. Tip it up and clean with a nail puller and hose. I clean until it is good enough.
CAMO strap is for safety. Visions of having the deck slip and take a kneecap off.

blower.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
A nail puller?

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
o
I do not clean it as often as I should but it still has been around for a long time. I remove the drive shaft and throw a small come-along over the ROPS and attach it to the top link under the seat. Tip it up and clean with a nail puller and hose. I clean until it is good enough.
CAMO strap is for safety. Visions of having the deck slip and take a kneecap off.

View attachment 84957
Is it tricky relaxing pressure on the come along without the mower crashing down?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
o

Is it tricky relaxing pressure on the come along without the mower crashing down?
My come-along has two cogs on the winch gear. One is the stop/safety and the other is on the handle. To let down you pull the handle as in raising the deck . This releases the safety and you can hold it open. Let handle lower deck a few inches ( it will only go a couple of inches and it stops), let the safety cog snap back in place. The handle can then be moved again. It is a slow and tedious process but extremely safe.
It is almost impossible to by-pass the safety when there is tension on the cable but it is possible. Without being specific you can use the procedure that allows the cable to be let out quickly for set-up.
With a thousand pound mower, I'd say it is the suicide method.

I should add. The actual come-along is on the mower side of this rigging. That way there is no cable moving and digging into the PROPS. A large rag site between the PROPS and the steel cable

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm cutting about 5 acres a week with my B2601 and 5' Finish Mower. One of my frustrations has been figuring out the best way to clean the underside of the mower as it cakes up really bad. I try to cut when its dry but you know how that goes. Plans don't always go according to plan. Anybody got any tip to cleaning the underside, anything to spray on the underside to make grass stick less? I can't lift it high enough with the 3 point hitch to really clean it out so I unhook it then lift it with the loader and chains and the go to scraping with a machete, long screwdrivers, etc. Tried a pressure washer the other day and lets just say I ended up dirtier than the underside of the mower.

Anyway, its something I need to do on a regular basis and trying to figure out a way to make life a little easier with regards to this task! Thanks!!!
I have an air hammer and use a 4 inch wide chipping bit. Peels the stuff off nice and easy with the least amount of effort. I also have an air powered scraper tool with a 2 inch blade that works for fine clean up.

Best tool for clean decks is prevention. Avoid cutting wet grass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
I've tried many things over the 30 plus years of mowing. Still haven't found anything that lasts more than a few mowings without re-applying. I've tried Slip-Plate, Mow E-Z, Fluid Film, I even had the underside of deck sprayed with a glossy bed-liner type of coating. We also have a creek near my house, used to run deck in that once in awhile to clean off. Since I've had the loader, I have a log I pull up to, curl bucket down, then set bucket on log, lower loader so it brings the MMM into the air. I then use a long stick to clean out the underside. For the OP, if you have a blacktop/concrete driveway- raise the rear mower just a little off the pavement and spray a stream of water from garden hose underneath deck while it's running. Just be careful if you're able to do that on your machine....

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
We pressure wash the Kubota zero turn mower deck after each mowing.
I have a Country Clipper with a stand up deck, so it wouldn't be hard to pressure wash. I don't do it because the deck inside top is double plates in about 3/4 of the area leaving considerable access for water and dirt to be force in. Is your deck one complete sheet of steel?

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Just an unpleasant task with no easy solution. Unless I pressure wash after every mowing session the pressure washer just doesn't do a good job once the grass hardens at all and I have a very good pressure washer. Takes me about 4 hours to mow my place and pretty much a weekly task so by the time I'm done mowing my "old back" is just not up for unhooking the mower, grabbing the chains, lifting the mower with the front end loader, getting the pressure washer, then the whole cleaning process then hooking everything back up. I miss the days of having a healthy back where this type of weekly task was not that tasking!!

Every 2 to 3 weeks though I will just go through this process though. The other day I lifted the mower a little higher and the process was easier. Put a big tarp underneath, scraped all the hardened gunk off which fell off and on to the tarp. Folded tarp and put in loader bucket and hauled off. I may try lifting it from the rear with a come along as described above.