Cleaning Underside of Mower???

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I'm cutting about 5 acres a week with my B2601 and 5' Finish Mower. One of my frustrations has been figuring out the best way to clean the underside of the mower as it cakes up really bad. I try to cut when its dry but you know how that goes. Plans don't always go according to plan. Anybody got any tip to cleaning the underside, anything to spray on the underside to make grass stick less? I can't lift it high enough with the 3 point hitch to really clean it out so I unhook it then lift it with the loader and chains and the go to scraping with a machete, long screwdrivers, etc. Tried a pressure washer the other day and lets just say I ended up dirtier than the underside of the mower.

Anyway, its something I need to do on a regular basis and trying to figure out a way to make life a little easier with regards to this task! Thanks!!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You are fighting a losing battle , but if you must clean it often you can use some PVC pipe with a hose bib, drill a series of small holes along one side, and put a T on one end and cap it off, slip it under the deck and turn on the water,,, Then get on board start it up and engage the PTO for the deck. The water squirting up will hit the bottom of the deck and the spinning blades which should in theory anyways, splash the stuck grass with enough force to dislodge it and blow it out the side port on the deck.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Yep, not a lot of fun and fighting an uphill battle for sure. This may be silly but one person told me to spray non stick cooking spray or something similar on the metal to make it easier to clean and keeps the grass from sticking as bad. I need to figure out something better than a long screwdriver and a machete for scraping too!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
You could try a non caloric silicone based kitchen lubricant 😉

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Spraying with water can work OK as long as you get to it BEFORE all the dirt and grass dry to the deck. Afterward....you are just trying to erode it away.....takes forever.

Since your 3 point won't lift it high enough for you, you can build/buy a STURDY ramp to drive one rear tire up on and get all the clearance you need to be able to see under it. You won't be able to stand and clean the deck obviously. But easier than having to unhook from it and then lift the mower.

I clean the deck on my zero turn mower that way.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yep, not a lot of fun and fighting an uphill battle for sure. This may be silly but one person told me to spray non stick cooking spray or something similar on the metal to make it easier to clean and keeps the grass from sticking as bad. I need to figure out something better than a long screwdriver and a machete for scraping too!
I use a heavy duty paint scraper to clean the deck on my Zero Turn. Does the job quickly.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Another good reason to buy a hydraulic top link!!! I can lift and really show the bottom of the finishing mower.

I bought a cheap electric power washer, 1700 psi and 1.2 gallon, it works great for the underside of the mower. The only reason I bought it and it does a great job. I've used an air hose and a paint scraper, the "low end" power washer was the trick!!!

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I've got a nice pressure washer but it had been a few weeks since I cleaned it last and when I hit the underside the other day with the pressure washer it was like concrete and if you hit a clump at the wrong angle it came right back at me. Too much of a hassle to unhook it after 4 hours mowing in the sun, get the chains and lift it with the front end loader to clean after each mowing session, particularly when you have a bad back. I figured the pressure washer would be the perfect solution but if that stuff hardens up, not so much!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
This what I found to be the best way to clean a mmm and while I had it, I never found anything that would keep the grass from sticking.
Screenshot_20220216-181640_Chrome.jpg

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
That is exactly what I do except with chains and the front end loader. I like the idea of a heavy duty paint scraper. Maybe I can find one with an extended handle about the length of a broom. Unfortunately I'm 50 years old with the back of an 80 year old, everything is arduous it seems related to tractors!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
That is exactly what I do except with chains and the front end loader. I like the idea of a heavy duty paint scraper. Maybe I can find one with an extended handle about the length of a broom. Unfortunately I'm 50 years old with the back of an 80 year old, everything is arduous it seems related to tractors!
Shoulder, back and 49 here. Ditched the mmm and went rfm. Much nicer not dealing with a mmm.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Never had the pleasure of using a mid mount mower. Except for the bumpy as all get out and slow ride on the B2601, the 5 foot LP rear finish mower does fine job. Next time I've got $17k spare change in my pocket I'll probably get a 6 foot zero turn. That may be a while though :( My B2601 should hit 300 hours on or about its 2nd Birthday in a couple months, 90% of which has been mowing!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Thanks and that attachment might make it lot easier and not much effort to wash after every use without having to unhook it and lift it up. Is there any potential area underneath a finish mower where you could cause damage or issues with high pressure water?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Ahhhhh......'Bad Back' is a game changer for sure. Sorry to hear of that.

I'm almost 20 years your senior, but still able to get around pretty well. I forget sometimes that not everyone is so blessed. Hope you find something that works well for you.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
That is exactly what I do except with chains and the front end loader. I like the idea of a heavy duty paint scraper. Maybe I can find one with an extended handle about the length of a broom.
I recently bought a scraper that has the threads inside the handle for a broom handle.

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
I mow roughly every ten days and don't like having the mower on when using the tractor for any non mowing chores. I keep the deck on a Deck Dolly when not in use as it makes it much easier to clean and change out blades. I am on my third year with this mower and the deck bottom is still in fairly good condition. I spray the deck with WD40 after the occasional pressure washing. It is missing some paint, but the WD40 seems to inhibit rust on the missing paint spots.
IMG_2178.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
TomRC, since you have a power washer here's a $35 attachment that does am amazing job of pressure washing without getting dirty. I bought one to clean the underneath of my truck after the county gets done putting dust control solution on our road.

You can push it under something and not get a bath. You can also turn it over and clean you concrete sidewalk!

View attachment 84944
Well, that is pretty cool and surprisingly cheap! Just buying those extension wands in the store alone are quite pricey! I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone say their really nice looking shiny car wouldn't pass inspection because of all the rust damage on the underside of their vehicle! That brine solution they spray on the roads does lots of dammage $$$$$! Our new car wash up the road will clean the underside of your car. After a good wash every spring I try to spray any area with rust stating to form. Any welded area and cheap metal fasteners are first to go!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm cutting about 5 acres a week with my B2601 and 5' Finish Mower. One of my frustrations has been figuring out the best way to clean the underside of the mower as it cakes up really bad. I try to cut when its dry but you know how that goes. Plans don't always go according to plan. Anybody got any tip to cleaning the underside, anything to spray on the underside to make grass stick less? I can't lift it high enough with the 3 point hitch to really clean it out so I unhook it then lift it with the loader and chains and the go to scraping with a machete, long screwdrivers, etc. Tried a pressure washer the other day and lets just say I ended up dirtier than the underside of the mower.

Anyway, its something I need to do on a regular basis and trying to figure out a way to make life a little easier with regards to this task! Thanks!!!
I have always used a pressure washer with great success.

Dan