Cider Yesterday

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Picked apples the day before, fill the bed of the Sidekick with off the trees apples, Red Delicious and Johnathans.

Processed 20 gallons of slightly tart apple cider. 5 gallons for each of my 2 helpers, Tom and Jimmy and put 9 gallons in the deep freeze and one in the fridge.

Good year for cider. The apple mash went to the steers and it went quick. Whole wheel barrow full. Bet they get the runs today....lol

Still have a lot in the trees, only picked the low hanging fruit. The rest will be deer apples for 'bait'.

Sore arm from cranking the shredder. Next year it will be motorized.

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
It has been a poor year for apples in my end of the planet.
So far we pressed over 200 imp. gallons our usual year is over 500 imperial Gallons- with 1600 gallons on our best ever year

homemade machine We built from plans out of a 1903 Popular Mechanics magazine but instead of wood we used stainless steel and a jack-all to do the pressing
cheers
Hank

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My trees were loaded this year too,, 3 days of high winds and lost everything from every tree,, at least the deer and critters enjoyed them, and no they were not ripe enough to mash

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I still have a pile in the trees to be picked for deer apples. Came out really good. Just a little tart. Cider in moderation or the dreaded 'heshey squirts'.....:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It has been a poor year for apples in my end of the planet.
So far we pressed over 200 imp. gallons our usual year is over 500 imperial Gallons- with 1600 gallons on our best ever year

homemade machine We built from plans out of a 1903 Popular Mechanics magazine but instead of wood we used stainless steel and a jack-all to do the pressing
cheers
Hank
Too big of an operation for me. I didn't need 20 gallons but that is what I got. I do need to 'automate' the mill for next year.

The cattle got the mash, lasted about 2 minutes.

DaTow'd

Equipment
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
When I first arrived in our little valley in early '70s I noticed a lot of apple trees loaded but nobody using the apples. So a welder friend and others helped build my machine,
My apple picking partner and I split most of the juice and the rest make for interesting trading.
I freeze most of ours and then we just leave the juice in 20L plastic buckets with a tight lid on the back porch. Around Thanksgiving it gets very tasty
cheers
Hank

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I did notice this morning that my cattle's poop is a bit, shall we say...''loose'.:D

DaTow'd

Equipment
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
1hp electric motor driving a 1" shaft with two self aligning bearings
the shredder is made from apple wood with a "million" stainless screws
it takes 8-10 5 gallon buckets of apples on each pressing
a jack all automotive jack does the pressing
we get 8-16 imperial gallons of juice each less than 15 minutes

it takes 3 people to feed its habit
We freeze our share and my pal pasteurizes theirs and has some impressive shelves in the basement.
I like to keep the juice in the plastic bucket with a tight lid on the back porch-
it gets pretty fine around Thanksgiving
cheers
Hank

Attachments

Lycomech96

Equipment
B2601, loader, backhoe
Nov 12, 2018
Williamsport, PA, USA
I live across from an orchard. I got a fresh gallon this morning for $6.00.
Great stuff. They say they don't have a very big crop this year as the trees over produced last year and are taking a rest. I have to get some macs for applesauce. Fill up the freezer and have it all year long.