Chipper for 3901

rtallichet

Equipment
3901HST-FEL, box blade, backhoe, grapple, rake, forks, piranha bar stump grinder
Dec 11, 2017
Texas
What's the best PTO driven chipper that won't break the bank?

3901HST

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
My vote would be the Woodland Mills WC68. Even though I only have 19 horse at the PTO, it has chipped everything I have put thru it without fail. There are other good ones out there, but I am very satisfied with my choice. The only one I wouldn’t buy, is one WITHOUT hydraulic infeed rollers. With your horsepower you could even go with the Woodland Mills WC 88. You would be at around $4000 delivered if your CFO approves it. And currently 4 weeks to delivery. In todays world, that ain’t to bad in my book.

Reactions: 2 users

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I also have a L3901 HST tractor and I purchase a Woodmaxx WM-8H this past spring and have about 12 hours on it. I have chipped soft and hard wood up to 8” and it has chipped everything I have put in it like a hot knife through butter and never a chipped material plugs in the discharge chute even chipping some punky debris. I especially like the double hydraulic infeed rollers (a must have) with reverse and a flat infeed, so I do not have to lift branches so high.

I also looked at the Woodland Mills chippers which have some nice features especially the folding infeed for storage space savings and clam shell flywheel cutter guard which may assist in blade replacement and plugged debris clearing if needed.

The final decision for me was the heavier flywheel and the ability of the Woodmaxx to run on my sons lower PTO HP tractor if needed.

I did use a borrowed gas powered chipper some years ago with manual feed and knew if I ever purchased a chipper, it would have a self-feed feature.

I am very satisfied with my purchase. Without the ability to try each manufactures product we make some assumptions of what may work better for us. There are some trade off’s we learn to live with, most of which are not deal breakers on either of these brands from my research.

Best of luck with whatever manufacturer you go with.

Reactions: 2 users

Stevo944

Equipment
MX5200
Mar 23, 2021
Ohio
Bought the WC 88 Woodland Mills unit in May and have about 60 hours on it behind an MX 5200. I am really pleased with it. Don’t think you could go wrong even with a little less horsepower. Good luck whichever way you go.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Share a WC-68 with my brother. About 100 hours on it between the two of us. No hesitation in recommending it. Have heard good things about Woodmaxx but have no direct experience.

Discharge chute plugging when chipping sappy wet pine was irritating until I figured out slowing feed speed with sticky sappy stuff prevented plugging. So I have to chalk that up to operator error rather than design flaw. Haven’t needed to sharpen blades yet. Overall it’s better quality than what I expected for the price.

Reactions: 1 user

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
We replaced the 16 year old MacKissic TPH-122 with a WM WC46 a couple years ago when my source for leaves dried up, and I needed (due to age) a more horizontal inlet feed. It has worked well but succombs to roller feed plugs occasionally that require the low rise floor jack to lift the feed roller. It has also plugged when fed with trees having some small vines on them.

The Woodmax supposedly has a built-in lever to raise the feed roller(s) but apparently not a chute foldup like WM units have.

For your tractor, you could easily run 8 inch units both on hp and weight standards.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
WC88 here probably 50 or so hours on it, very happy. Woodmaxx makes great products as well.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I also purchased the WoodMaxx WM-8H. Haven't used it yet but it assembled easily and seems to be over very high quality. Looking forward to using it soon. As others has said, can't go wrong with either Woodland Mills or WoodMaxx.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Being the WC46 apparently has some issues with feed roller jams, if you go with Woodland Mills it might be advisable to go with a WC68. I have had to reverse the feed a few times but have yet to experience a feed roller jam, including vine covered stuff and just wads of vines by themselves.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Wallenstein Bx52s (5 inch chip) is popular. It's build like a tank and simple design. I bought mine new for 4200, but apparently they increased price to 5k. This makes the china made rivals like woodland mills more appealing only 3k + more features including hydraulic feed. That said, my Wallenstein is rock solid and I don't have any issues with it. It's such a simple heavy duty design, it just works and no concerns about quality. I think they under rate these chippers 'if it fits it chips' applies at the minimum PTO HP. If you put REALLY dry hardwood 5 inch into it, it might stall your tractor, but more of the problem is always the chute opening wont let you put anything large enough (I always wish it was bigger).

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
You Woodmaxx users verify that it has a lever for raising the feed roller(s)?
I have a WoodMaxx WM-8m and there is a bar to raise the feed roller.

3901HST
I have had my chipper since June 2015. Since I put the hour meter/RPM meter Aug of 2016, I have put 10.6 hours on it. I haven't had to change the blades yet. I'm really happy with the chipper.

jimmyob

Equipment
LX3310, loader, forks&spade, grapple, post puller, stump bucket, WM8H, brush hog
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
I also have a L3901 HST tractor and I purchase a Woodmaxx WM-8H this past spring and have about 12 hours on it. I have chipped soft and hard wood up to 8” and it has chipped everything I have put in it like a hot knife through butter and never a chipped material plugs in the discharge chute even chipping some punky debris. I especially like the double hydraulic infeed rollers (a must have) with reverse and a flat infeed, so I do not have to lift branches so high.

I also looked at the Woodland Mills chippers which have some nice features especially the folding infeed for storage space savings and clam shell flywheel cutter guard which may assist in blade replacement and plugged debris clearing if needed.

The final decision for me was the heavier flywheel and the ability of the Woodmaxx to run on my sons lower PTO HP tractor if needed.

I did use a borrowed gas powered chipper some years ago with manual feed and knew if I ever purchased a chipper, it would have a self-feed feature.

I am very satisfied with my purchase. Without the ability to try each manufactures product we make some assumptions of what may work better for us. There are some trade off’s we learn to live with, most of which are not deal breakers on either of these brands from my research.

Best of luck with whatever manufacturer you go with.
Good info, thanks. Any recommendations for my LX3310?
PTO 27hp, claimed. I'd be happy with something that could take up to 6".
Not sure my little tractor can accommodate. Thanks!

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I have a WoodMaxx WM-8m and there is a bar to raise the feed roller.

I have had my chipper since June 2015. Since I put the hour meter/RPM meter Aug of 2016, I have put 10.6 hours on it. I haven't had to change the blades yet. I'm really happy with the chipper.
How did you gear up a hr meter on your chipper ? thanks.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
How did you gear up a hr meter on your chipper ? thanks.
I bought the kit from WoodMax. It included a bracket and the hour/RPM meter. If you look in the first picture you can see a blob on the shaft, that is the magnet that is used to detect the rotation of the shaft giving the RPMs. The second picture show where the meter is placed, the bracket for that was included also. They still show it on the web page, but is out of stock.

20_58_33.jpg
19_32_05.jpg

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I bought the kit from WoodMax. It included a bracket and the hour/RPM meter. If you look in the first picture you can see a blob on the shaft, that is the magnet that is used to detect the rotation of the shaft giving the RPMs. The second picture show where the meter is placed, the bracket for that was included also. They still show it on the web page, but is out of stock.

View attachment 92432 View attachment 92433
I like that, I can see that being useful on a lot of stuff. Thanks.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

3901HST
Woodland Mills WC68. 6" x 8" opening, adjustable speeed and pressure on hydraulic feed, good customer support, solidly and thoughtfully designed and built.
I've put probably 40 cu yardsnet of chipping through it in the last 4 years. No breakdowns, still on the knives first edge and still cuts cleanly.
The only time my 19.5hp pto tractor bogs down is while trying to chip 4-6" dry hardwood like oak or birch. I've stalled out the tractor only a couple times trying to chip those, now leave them for bucking up for firewood.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have a Woodmaxx WM-8H chipper powered with my L3301. Mine came with an hour meter, but the hour meter is nowhere near accurate. There are things I like about the chipper, and things thatbI do not like so much.

It is made in China. I knew this when I bought it, but today I would probably be willing to spend a little more for a US or Canadian made unit. If you have to adjust the clearance between the “bed knife” and the “flywheel knives”, you have to remove the bottom section of the infeed chute. The adjustment is more cumbersome than on other chippers that I have owned, but not a deal breaker. Replacement knives are very expensive. I chip a lot (have about 300 hours on my machine in 2 years). The “Lubrication guide” is a bit different. The lubrication guide is based on “Environmental Conditions”.

Quote from the manual “All Woodmax implements are now equipped with bearings that are factory greased so that 33% of the race is full of grease, this allows for operation at all speed ranges. In a clean, dry environment adding more grease to the bearing is not required for at least 500 hours of use.”

I have never chipped in a “clean” environment.

Notwithstanding the lubrication section, the manual is very good. The chipper performs very well, and is very difficult to clog. It is very heavy. I opted for the premium, US made PTO shaft. It is very good quality, and worth the extra bucks to me.

Jack

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a WoodMaxx MX 9900 on my L3901, I do a lot of chipping, you cannot beat the hydraulic infeed, not the lowest cost but I think it will be a serious work horse for several decades.

my only issue with my L3901 has been a sticking pto cable / lever underneath, keep it well lubricated and clean.
Chipper.jpg
Chipping at Ruger 08162020.jpg

Last edited: