Checklist for Inspecting Used Tractor

TableRocked

Jun 14, 2013
Lampe, Missouri
I'm in the market for a used TLB Kubota and wondered if someone had produced a checklist with pass/fail criteria I could use to make sure I notice any potential downstream problems ahead of spending the cash.

• For instance, as hour meters appear pretty easy to swap for lower hour meters, is there a CPU on the engine that can be downloaded with a code reader much like on a car or boat motor to ensure the true # of hours matches the meter?
  • Is it customary to do a compression check on a diesel motor?
  • Is there a way to validate the condition of the hydraulic system?
  • Assuming the hour meter is 100% correct and assuming reasonable maintenance has been completed, how many hours are considered young, middle aged, or near the grave?
  • Is there a color or smell one should note per fluid type that would indicate a problem, neglect, or acceptable?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Visual inspection and operation will tell you everything you need to know about the tractor. NOPE no fancy downloading of info on a tractor. They are basic mechanical diesels with no high tech electronics on them. If the hydraulics work then you can validate them to be in, well working order. They either work or they dont or they are weak.

Sounds like your trying to compare equipment maintenance to vehicle maintenance which are two totally different fields of service.

You can size up everything you need to know about a TLB within the first 5 minutes of lookin at it.

wvshooter

Dec 11, 2012
WV
You're going to find that the oil will be black, there will be scratches or dents, and that you probably don't have the tools to do a compression check on a diesel.

Check out the tractor. Drive it, operate everything. Dig with it if you can. So long as everything works as it should, chances are that its fine. Tires can be a big expense, so understand the cost to replace them if worn out. By looking it over and asking questions it should become apparent if the owner has taken care of it. Good luck!

B6100EDriver

Equipment
L3130,Landspride W/RCR1872 B6100E W/4' Landspride bush hog
Jun 16, 2012
Howe, TX
Sounds like your trying to compare equipment maintenance to vehicle maintenance which are two totally different fields of service. You can size up everything you need to know about a TLB within the first 5 minutes of lookin at it.[/QUOTE said:
I have to agree with Eric Just look at the outside of the machine if its beat to shit and only 2 years old, I don't want it, You could bet there was zero maintenance done to it.

Look at the tires and asked where the machine was used. Tractor tires on hard surfaces don't last long. I would bet tires that are used only in dirt last 500% longer than tires used on concrete if not more.

Personally I think anything that has been taken care of up to 2000 hours is still young 4k to 5k in middle aged 8k to 10 k is hitting old age. And that is as long as the proper maintenance was always done.

this is only my 2 cents there are a lot more knowledgeable people out than I

Good luck to you

Brian