Charge light started glowing today. Need Alternator part number for L225DT

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I was out mowing today and my charge light started glowing. I measure the same voltage with the engine running and off.

It looks like my alternator has a Nippon Denso label on it with 021000-284 as the part number. Can anybody confirm this??

I would like to buy a remanufactured alternator at Autozone / Pepboys, but I would need to know the part number to get started.

Thank you!

manofaus

Equipment
bx2350
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Not familiar with that alternator but for some if its not noisy you might be able to just change the brushes and rectifier, about 1/5th the price.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Where can I buy brushes and rectifier parts in the US?
I found a replacement at Autozone for $95. The part number is 50905

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Parts appear to be available here but for $95 I'd just buy the alternator. After a new set of brushes (assuming the shaft is still ok) and rectifiers your savings would be minimal. Just make sure the regulator plug is the same as the old one and you should be fine.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would take the alternator to a local auto electric shop; have them spin it up and see if that's the problem.

The problem with the "rebuilds" you get is they get them in, send them to the same shop. The guy spins them, if they charge then he paints them and sends them right back. To replace the bearings and brushes is NOT a matter of course for the rebuild shop. Only if the bearings make noise or wobble, or there's no output; do they then take some action on the core.

Scenario: You get that rebuild for $95, you take it home and that's not the problem. "No returns on electrical parts" So you have a working alternator; how much newer or older than your original??? The rebuild guy gets yours core, spins it, paints it, sends it back to A-zone. Then someone else pays $95 for a paint job.

Deal straight with the shop. You'll get a better deal. Besides, it could be a blown fuse, regulator, or bad connector.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Ok- so I had the alternator tested and it is good. I tried to replace the regulator with one from the local autoparts house--- but now things do not work. My charge and oil lights no longer glow even when the engine is off and key on. I followed the procedure in the service manual to test the alternator. It produces 18v. I suspect that I received the wrong regulator. Any other thoughts or suggestions?