Changing the belt on an RCK54-22bx MMM for the first time

Earth

Equipment
L3410, LA482, RC72-29BX1800, RCK54-22bx
May 1, 2021
Virginia
This hard working mowing deck has been running on the original belt since I bought it in 2004. The belt I ordered off Amazon seemed too short and after spending all day trying to push and pull the tensioner close enough to hook the spring (used 3 ratchet straps, long crow bar, long wonder bar, locking pliers, everything but the kitchen sink) I broke the spring. I am no expert but I decided that belt had to be too short. It is still sitting on the deck half-installed smiling at me. I checked how it was supposed to be routed and it is right. The V-groove fits over the spine of every pulley except the tensioner pulley, which the back of the belt goes on. Ordered a new belt and spring from Messicks and they arrived today but the belt they sent has the wrong part number stamped on the belt, but the correct part number I ordered on the cardboard sleeve. Nothing in the box to tell me they are the same part or interchangeable. The stamp reads K5351-34711. The sleeve says K5351-34710. Everything I can find online says they are for the Z-series mowers but they do both seem to be 112 inches long. Does anyone know? I emailed Messicks but they are closed for the weekend. Sure would have been nice if they had sent me a note about the discrepancy in the numbers. :( Also, any hints for attaching the spring without breaking it if this thing turns out to be no longer than the one I spent all day struggling with?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The belt fits both BX and ZD decks, part numbers are interchangeable.
The correct belt length is 112".

Reactions: 1 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Is the original belt broken or still in one piece?

If you still have the original, following the measuring procedure in the following video to compare with what you bought.

V belt

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia
The belt fits both BX and ZD decks, part numbers are interchangeable.
The correct belt length is 112".
Thank you so much! Now I can put it on in the morning and hopefully be mowing by noon!

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia
Is the original belt broken or still in one piece?

If you still have the original, following the measuring procedure in the following video to compare with what you bought.

V belt

Dave
Thanks, Dave, but the original self-destructed, poor thing.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks, Dave, but the original self-destructed, poor thing.
Use a piece of 1/2" diameter rope to determine the proper belt length.

Usually when someone is having the trouble you are experiencing, the belt routing is not correct. I know you said it is but....

Post a photo of the belt routing instructions and a second photo of your partially installed belt.

Dave

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia
Use a piece of 1/2" diameter rope to determine the proper belt length.

Usually when someone is having the trouble you are experiencing, the belt routing is not correct. I know you said it is but....

Post a photo of the belt routing instructions and a second photo of your partially installed belt.

Dave
Hi Dave,
When I opened the new belt it turned out to be the same size as the old one. Here are photos of the old one half-installed and the Messicks' sketch I was using to guide me. The tensioner pulley is about 6 inches away from the spring hook without any pulling/pushing of it as you can see. I can get it within 3 inches of the hook with a struggle but cannot close the gap without breaking the spring. The last photo is the new belt and new spring, with a ratchet strap pulling the tensioner pulley toward its arc, and another ratchet strap on the spring. But I have no idea how I would transfer the hook on the end of the spring to the hook on the deck. Should the spring be this sprung on a new belt? Should it be this tight?
20210502_131522[1].jpg
20210502_131629[1].jpg

Attachments

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia
Here is the correct routing of the deck drive belt.
Thanks, Whitetiger, that is how I have it routed. It is still so tight I cannot connect the spring. See my photos posted to Dave above.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have the 60 inch version of the same deck. What I did previously to release tension is tie a small diameter nylon rope around the end of the spring, and use a piece of wood on the edge of the mower deck as a lever, to pull the spring loose from that pin it hooks on.

When putting it back on, I used the same method, and then worked the rope off the end of the spring after the spring was hooked over that pin.

It was not that difficult. No reason the spring should break. In my experience anyway.

Edit: It does take a lot of force to stretch that spring!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
What I find works well stretching springs into place is a big Phillips screw driver. The tip of the screwdriver will connect to the hook without wanting to slide off as it would do if you use a flat blade screw driver.

The loop at the end of the spring slides unto the screw driver shaft. As you lever the screw driver into a vertical position pivoting on the deck attachment point, you can use something to tap the spring loop down the shaft of the screw driver until it goes over the place where the screw driver is pivoting.

When you use other methods of stretching the spring, the challenge still remains to get the end of the spring where it needs to go.

With the screw driver method it is fast and easy. You need a serious Phillips screw driver.

A hollow tube just large enough to fit over the deck hook will also work in the same way.

Dave

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What I find works well stretching springs into place is a big Phillips screw driver. The tip of the screwdriver will connect to the hook without wanting to slide off as it would do if you use a flat blade screw driver.

The loop at the end of the spring slides unto the screw driver shaft. As you lever the screw driver into a vertical position pivoting on the deck attachment point, you can use something to tap the spring loop down the shaft of the screw driver until it goes over the place where the screw driver is pivoting.

When you use other methods of stretching the spring, the challenge still remains to get the end of the spring where it needs to go.

With the screw driver method it is fast and easy. You need a serious Phillips screw driver.

A hollow tube just large enough to fit over the deck hook will also work in the same way.

Dave
I don’t doubt that Dave’s method will work fine when everything goes as planned.

In my case, doing that I would wear a heavy gloves, since the stretched spring contains a lot of energy, and if things go wrong Energy is released pretty quick!

Historically, if there is a way it can bite me it seems too!

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
My way of installing/removing the belt [mine is 60 " deck] is quite different. I keep the spring hooked up and move the tensioner pulley . I use a old hockey stick that is about 3 ' long. With the belt installed on all the pulleys except one of the outer spindle pulleys . I place the end of the stick on the idler pulley and part way up the stick I place it against the lift bracket and use this to pry the tensioner pulley away from the spring. tightening up the spring and getting enough slack in the belt to slip it over the outer spindle.Works pretty good this way I'am not playing with the spring. Hope this explanation makes sense.

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia
I have the 60 inch version of the same deck. What I did previously to release tension is tie a small diameter nylon rope around the end of the spring, and use a piece of wood on the edge of the mower deck as a lever, to pull the spring loose from that pin it hooks on.

When putting it back on, I used the same method, and then worked the rope off the end of the spring after the spring was hooked over that pin.

It was not that difficult. No reason the spring should break. In my experience anyway.

Edit: It does take a lot of force to stretch that spring!
Well, this worked!! Thank you so much. After I did it, I wondered why it had not occurred to me. I had a spare nylon cord pull for a lawnmower, put a loop on the end, attached it to the spring, and wound the rest around a 4' 2x2 stick. I put the bottom of the stick against the side of the deck and pulled and then used a long screw driver to slide the hook of the spring onto the deck hook. Whew. I am going to put this in my manual so *next time* I have to do this, I have a clue. Thanks, Henro. 😊

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia

Dave
I wonder if I would be strong enough to just pull that spring with a screwdriver. It was so tight, Henro's method of using a lever and string may be the only way I could do it again. (Which I hope is never.)

Earth

Equipment
May 1, 2021
Virginia
Thank you all for your suggestions. I got it on and took it out in 2 foot tall pasture grass and she worked! Gotta love that orange tractor, but I wish Kubota would give more directions about how to do this very common but difficult task.