Changing between Cat 1 and 2 implements

ibeamcarver

Equipment
L4600
Aug 27, 2012
Somerset, CA USA
I'm looking at renting an M108 to see if it does the work I need. Does anyone know if I can either get combination lift arm ball joint, or easily swap out the lift arm balls for going between Cat 1 and Cat 2 for different implements? My cousin's Massey Ferguson has lift arm ball joint with removable pins to swap between different ball sizes.

thanks

Killer RC

Equipment
1997 M4700DT
Sep 14, 2013
SW Ohio
It'd be best if you can rent a tractor with Cat 2 lift arms and a Cat 2 Top link (1" diameter holes) and when you are using a Cat 1 implement (3/4" diameter pin) then you will need to put a spacer sleeve inside the Cat 2 top link ball. Tractor Supply sells em for a few dollars.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I haven't seen a kubota with interchangeable ball ends. Depending on what you plan to do, the only option to use your own tractor may be to change the link pins.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
It would not be the best thing to do but is common, especially if you have two tractors with different 3-point lift 'sizes' (or 'categories')---one Cat-1 and one Cat-2. Not the best because can make hooking up slightly more difficult, parts to lose, and the bushings do wear from the necessary slop-fit.

Install Cat-1 pins on all implements and when using with Cat-2 tractor just install the correct size bushing through the ball on the end of the lift arm.

Or keep a couple spare sets of lift pins and change them out as needed but this will become a PiA over time.

Look up online (SpeeCo website for instance) the difference in pin sizes between Cat-1 and Cat-2: the lift arms are different and so are the top-links, although you can obtain or combine two top-links to make a 'bastard' top-link with a different size on each end.

Tractor Supply or local Co-Op should have the bushings: I always keep some on hand and they cost about a buck a pair of two for lift arms.

Note that if any operator tries hard enough through rough use the Cat-1 pins can be bent by Cat-2 tractor and / or a Cat-2 tractor can tear up a possibly lighter weight Cat-1 implement.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

ibeamcarver

Equipment
L4600
Aug 27, 2012
Somerset, CA USA
Thanks all, the tractor has Cat 2 3pt, so I'm going to try the reducer bushings for Cat 1 implements and just take it easy with them. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of months.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Just remember, the top link pin is different than the lift arm pin in each cat size ie, 1 and 2 are different. Another way of saying is,, the top pin is allways smaller than the lift arm pin, in each catagory. You can put a sleeve on a cat 1 implent to fit the cat2 tractor but you can't make a cat 2 implement fit a cat 1 tractor unless you change the pins on the implement. And if you have a quick attach 3ph, forget it.