Changed fuel filter, won’t start!!

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
Changed the fuel filter on my mx4700 today. I turned the pit cock on and it filled the filter. It started up and ran fine. I opened the bleeder valve and a few minutes later it quit. Will not run at all now.
what am I missing or doing wrong please?
Thanks,
Mike

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
I don’t have your tractor but per the owners manual…

Bleeding procedure is as follows:
1. Fill the fuel tank with fuel ,and open the fuel cock.
2. Loosen the air vent plug on the fuel filter 2 turns or so.
3. Turn on the key switch and wait for about 1 minute. Then tighten up the air vent plug.
4. Set the hand throttle lever at the minimum speed position and turn the key to "START" position.
If the engine doesn't start, try it several times at 30 second intervals.
A Do not hold key switch at engine start position for More than 10 seconds continuously. If more engine cranking is needed, try again after 30 seconds.
5. Accelerate the engine to remove the small portion of air left in the fuel system.
6. If air still remains and the engine stops, repeat the above steps.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
As MAK65 said check your manual. I believe after changing the filter and opening the filter stop valve there's another pet cock by the injector pump, crack it open and start the engine let it run for a little bit then close the pet cock. At this point you probably pushed the air through the pump and up to the injectors, you'll need to crack the fitting on top of each injector and crank it over until you get good fuel at the injector. As always do as you feel is best.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I just changed the filter on my L4060. It took about 15 10 second tries to start.

No either or anything down the air intake!!!

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Starting fluid (ether) is too volatile and should never be used on a diesel engine, especially ones with glow plugs. The injection supply system needs to be completely air free.

Reactions: 1 user

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
I have followed the steps in my manual for bleeding the system. It doesn’t even try to start now. I know there’s an “ O “ ring where the filter itself seats against the housing. Actually two O rings. The one on top of plastic cup that the holds the filter and spring. I know it’s in place. The small O ring on top of the filter itself could be off though. . I may have possibly got it out of place. I have a loader on the tractor and it makes getting to the filter a little difficult.

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
I called my dealer and they no longer do service in the field. It simply won’t start!

I cracked the injectors and very little fuel came out of 3 of them while cranking ( I expected more, though I don’t know what is normal )There was some air bubbles also. 1 injector line had no fuel come from it at all.
Any suggestions?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
This happened to me, changed my fuel filter open fuel line, fuel flowed in but it would crank and knock off. Over and over.

I finally figured out I put the filter in upside down so the spring in the bottom could not fit in the recessed area in the filter. Flipped filter over and she fired right up no further tinkering required.

Wanted to just throw that out there but it sounds like you have a different issue. Maybe the above will help someone if not you.

Best of Luck.

Jay

Jim Goodman

Equipment
2016 L4060
Mar 20, 2011
Raleigh, NC USA
Starting fluid (ether) is too volatile and should never be used on a diesel engine, especially ones with glow plugs. The injection supply system needs to be completely air free.
I had a 1995 Ford F250 with the 7.3 liter turbo diesel that I bought from a guy who had used starting fluid to start if when his glow plug relay went out. I took it to the dealer to get it fixed and they had to take off both heads because according to the dealer, several glow plugs had been destroyed by the intensity of the explosions in the combustion chambers and glow plug debris was banging around in the cylinders.

Big Mike

Equipment
MX 4700
Jan 1, 2019
Stanville, Ky USA
Finally got her running! After about a thousand 10 second cranking intervals she took off. All is well now.
Lessons learned:
Always raise bucket before changing filter. The boom makes access to the filter more difficult.
Always open bleeder valve IMMEDIATELY after start up!
Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.