Chains?

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
I did a couple of searches on here about chains. I have a hilly mile of dirt and gravel drive to keep open here in Northern Michigan. We had a heavy and dense 12" drop last Saturday. I pulled the trigger on a 7' blade for the front that is scheduled to arrive mid-January. I have a snow pusher on the front now and a 7' blower on the rear of my L4630 GST. I couldn't make it up one of my hills Saturday and got stuck a couple of times. I want to order some rear chains and could use some advice about getting a set of duo H grip chains or the more aggressive (and expensive) doo H grip with V bar? I have not used chains before. Will the "standard" chains do or does it sound like I need more aggressive V bar chains. Thanks for any feedback.

https://www.tractortirechains.com/Tractor-Tire-Chain-DUO-p/duo263.htm

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
In my opiniun, "v" bar chains are for ice and heavily packed wet snow. If that's not the issue for you then, the regular chains will work just fine.

Reactions: 1 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
You may need wheel spacers if fenders are too close

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
On my L3540 and L4060 I could put the right wheel on the left and the left on the right and it spaces it out about 2 inches for chain clearance.

Take out the bolts at the rim.

Reactions: 1 user

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
On my L3540 and L4060 I could put the right wheel on the left and the left on the right and it spaces it out about 2 inches for chain clearance.

Take out the bolts at the rim.
I've got barely 1 1/2" (used a 2 x 4 and it was tight). Would I be cutting it too tight?

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Thats close but I think you should be ok. If it were me, I would gets some chains and try it. If they rub, you need more space. If not, your good to go.

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
Thats close but I think you should be ok. If it were me, I would gets some chains and try it. If they rub, you need more space. If not, your good to go.
Good advice, thank you. I think I will call the chain place next week and ask about clearances before I order. I'm leaning toward the V-Bar chains which likely need more clearance .

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
If you have a old set of chains hanging around, that would give you the info you need. Maybe even a neibour has an old set to try?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think this is the practical answer. You can ask and get a reply that will not necessarily be correct in your situation.

My chains on my R4 tires just clear my fenders until they shift, then they hit.

The proof is in the pudding, as the old expression goes. Never understood what it meant though...but seems to be true...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was reading on another chain thread here about someone adding spacers. Where would I get those? Through the dealer?
The dealer is one option. There are aftermarket suppliers as well.

The aftermarket people can supply thicker spacers than the dealer. Thicker spacers are more for side stability than chain clearance.

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
Looks like I can widen it with the tire/wheel reconfiguration. A buddy offered to help and has done it before (in reality I’ll be helping him!). The chains I’m going to order are the studded (euro?) style. Plan to pull the trigger on them today.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I did a couple of searches on here about chains. I have a hilly mile of dirt and gravel drive to keep open here in Northern Michigan. We had a heavy and dense 12" drop last Saturday. I pulled the trigger on a 7' blade for the front that is scheduled to arrive mid-January. I have a snow pusher on the front now and a 7' blower on the rear of my L4630 GST. I couldn't make it up one of my hills Saturday and got stuck a couple of times. I want to order some rear chains and could use some advice about getting a set of duo H grip chains or the more aggressive (and expensive) doo H grip with V bar? I have not used chains before. Will the "standard" chains do or does it sound like I need more aggressive V bar chains. Thanks for any feedback.

https://www.tractortirechains.com/Tractor-Tire-Chain-DUO-p/duo263.htm

If you have R-1 ag tires, don't get ladder chains. they fall between the lugs and a e useless. Get the Duo-Trac. Whether to get them with V-bars or not depends on the conditions you are operating in. V-bars are generally used for icy conditions. You maybe able to put spacers under your fender mounts to raise them for clearance issues.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you get studded chains invest in the TRYGG tensioning tool, aka a jack.

For two years I did without and when I got it I felt I had a gorilla helping me.

Chains are snug fit when installed as manufacturer recommends.

There are actually three similar jacks as shown below.

Tightening tools for chains.jpg

TRYGG
Dave

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you get studded chains invest in the TRYGG tensioning tool, aka a jack.

For two years I did without and when I got it I felt I had a gorilla helping me.

Chains are snug fit when installed as manufacturer recommends.

There are actually three similar jacks as shown below.

Edit: I don't recall for sure, but think he used ladder chains...

View attachment 72324
TRYGG
Dave
You know, I keep thinking about my neighbor, who passed away a while ago. He had a tractor with ample clearance for chains.

He ran his chains loose. They would fall on the ground in front of his tires, as the tires turned. This did two things. It caused impacted snow to fall off his ag tires, and laid fresh chain on the ground for the tires to ride over, before lifting that chain off the ground for a repeat of the sequence.

I never concluded which way is better. But he had a 2WD tractor and never got stuck.

Edit: I believe he used ladder chains...